PDA

View Full Version : Unprotect Excel Worksheets

icthus123
06-21-2007, 03:28 AM
Hi I'm just wondering if there's a way to unprotect excel work sheets with VBA even if I don't know the password?

I assume there is a way since I can download addins from the internet which will do it for me! Does anyone know how this is done?

unmarkedhelicopter
06-21-2007, 03:51 AM
Usually people protect stuff for a reason (to prevent users from messing with important formula, interllectual property, proprietry business information etc.) if you are able to "unprotect" something then usually you have enough knowledge not to abuse the priveledge, so yes you can unprotect a sheet or a workbook but no, I'm not going to show you how.

If it's a sheet you created and forgot the password to then you probably have learned an important lesson, AND if this is the case then if you can post it (preferably zipped) I could look at it for you. If it's someone else's it depends on what it's for ...

icthus123
06-21-2007, 03:58 AM
It's a spread sheet someone from my work has emailed to me so I can put it into an access database. I can probably phone up and get the password but I just wondered if there was a quick way of doing it with VBA?

Bob Phillips
06-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Not as quick as picking up the phone.

icthus123
06-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Well, I was interested to know anyway! But it's okay I'll call him!

gnod
06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
this is the reason why i didn't post the code i found in unprotecting the worksheet