PDA

View Full Version : Automatically populate cell based on validation list

icthus123
06-23-2007, 10:00 AM
I've created a spreadsheet which uses a data validation list for the data in one column A which conditionally produces a list for the next column B.

So far so good.

But what I'd like to do is have the next column C automatically populated with data based on the entry selected in column B.

Let me explain a bit more, the data for column B is stored in a table A with two columns in another spread sheet. The data from the first column in table A is what populates column B in the first sheet. The data in the second column in this Table A is what I would like to be automatically entered into column C on the first sheet!

For example say that table A appeared as thus

A E
B F
C G
D H

If the data selected in column B was "A" then the data automatically entered in column C would be "E" and if the entered data was "C" column C would have data "G".

This is what I'm not sure how to accomplish without an extremely elaborate IF formula which would have to be changed every time I entered new data into table A.

If I can help it I don't want to use any VBA for this as it's for a person at work who couldn't maintain it if it was too complex.

Have I explained myself clearly enough? And if so does any one have any ideas?

mikerickson
06-23-2007, 10:32 AM
VLOOKUP

lucas
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
named ranges on sheet 2 are val which is used in the data validation of column A on sheet1

look is named range used for the vlookup formula in col B of sheet1. both ranges are on sheet 2 and overlap.

icthus123
06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys works perfectly!