PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Relative Links

dianahowe
06-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Is it possible to have instead of links with an absolute path, ones that are relative to where the linked to file is?
The reason I ask is that I have a group of files with links to each other, and each month when I save a copy into a new month folder, because they are in the same folder the links change automatically to reflect the new path. What I'd like to do is have the files in several different folders under one main month folder, as there are lots and it's cumbersome to find things. But if I do this I have to manually change the links each month to files in the other folders. Can this be done at all?

Thanks,

unmarkedhelicopter
06-27-2007, 05:27 AM
No
You could write code to do it for you but ...
With ALL the necessary files open. If you save your data files to the new folder first and then save the referencing file then it will do all the mod's for you.
Alternatively you can use "Edit" "Links" to find them then you could do a global search and replace from (say) "C:\Data\2007 June\" to "C:\Data\2007 July\"

dianahowe
06-28-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, have used both of those methods.
There are so many large files that trying to do it all with them open crashes my PC regulary, and doing find and replace on the links (or even using code to change links) takes an age.
It's just too much of my life to sacrifice for the sake of tidier files so I'll just grit my teeth and keep them in the same file.

Oh well, it was worth asking the question.
Thanks for the reply.