PDA

View Full Version : Limited Access Question

coopeed
06-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a database that gets tables exported to it each morning. However, occassionally there are users who are in the database before I get a chance to update the tables, therefore, not allowing me to update them.
Can someone suggest the easiest way to set up the database in a way where the other users don't lock up the app? These users only enter account info on a form which then queries the account and displays other account information. They don't need access to any other macros/queries/tables. I am looking for a way to do this without setting up users/passwords, if possible. Thanks.

OBP
06-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Hello copeed, I have seen and contributed to a Thread which has a very neat method to allow design access to the database.
You can either use an external file or an Access Table to trigger this action.
This is basically how it works.
You have a hidden form that opens when the Database opens, this form uses it's On Timer Event to check either an external file or or a Table in the Database. The file or table would normally hold No Data or something like "No" or "OK".
When you want control of the Database you enter in to the File or Table your Code word, like "Quit" or "Out", when the hidden form checks the field or Table it gives the users a warning to exit the database in 2 minutes.
If they do not exit the database in 2 minutes the Macro Quits Access anyway, closing their open database.
You just have to remember to reset the file or table back to it's original setting when you have finished doing your work.

bumpr
07-05-2007, 08:23 AM
why not try the /ro command-line switch when you start the app for read-only users.