PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Mac OSX

Brandtrock
11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Can anyone help me understand what might be going on with a Mac I am being asked about?

The user has a Mac with OSX on it. He has a printer and scanner he needs to connect to it. He has successfully connected his digital camera to the computer. The local consultant he went to downloaded some drivers from the internet and now the icons for the printer and scanner just "jump up and down and that is what the guy said they might do".

Obviously my PC based knowledge has taken me as far as it can, or I wouldn't be begging for ideas on what to do next. The user is 1500 miles from me, but has known me for years and relies on me to "fix" anything he can't do himself.

If you need any more specific information as to the make and model of the peripherals or what is/isn't on his Mac, let me know and I'll happily ask.

I would direct him to a good forum for 10 thumbed Mac users if one exists. He really could use the advice of someone more in touch than I am.

Thanks,

shades
11-24-2004, 11:05 AM
It will help to know (even if you direct him to other sites):

Computer type: (i.e. eMac, iMac)
Processor Speed: (relates to version)
OS X version: (some models can only go up to 10.1.5, others require at least 10.2.8; current version is 10.3.6)
Printer: (model and type - i.e. Brother 5040)
Scanner: (model and type - i.e. Epson 3170 Photo)
Printer Drivers: (version)
Scanner Drivers: (version)

Also, consider some of these sites:

MacNN (http://forums.macnn.com)

MacFixIt (http://www.macfixitforums.com/)

Mac OSX Hints (http://www.macosxhints.com/)

Brandtrock
11-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks Shades. I'll get some details this weekend I am sure. I'll try to get him to get more specific about what is happening as well. I appreciate the links too.

Regards,

shades
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
The local consultant he went to downloaded some drivers from the internet and now the icons for the printer and scanner just "jump up and down and that is what the guy said they might do". I'm assuming he means that the icon on the Dock (bottom of the screen, normally) for the printer or scanner "jumps up and down". That means that the software needs attention. Click on the icon to bring that software to the front (as active application). Then see what, if any, messages are displayed. This might help in troubleshooting.

Brandtrock
12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
No news yet. I'm hoping that that is good news, but as surely as I say this, I'll get a call . . .

I'll post back when I know more.

Thanks Shades!

shades
12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Any update?

Brandtrock
01-01-2005, 01:57 PM
It will help to know (even if you direct him to other sites):

Computer type: (i.e. eMac, iMac)
Processor Speed: (relates to version)
OS X version: (some models can only go up to 10.1.5, others require at least 10.2.8; current version is 10.3.6)
Printer: (model and type - i.e. Brother 5040)
Scanner: (model and type - i.e. Epson 3170 Photo)
Printer Drivers: (version)
Scanner Drivers: (version)

I know where to direct him on the Printer and Scanner peripherals for the model and type. Forgive my stupidity/unfamiliarity with Macs, but what set of hoops must be jumped through to get the other information.

Be gentle, I have to "talk him down from the ledge" so to speak. He is calling me tomorrow afternoon and I will have to get him to the relevant screens or locations for this information. Please bear in mind that I don't have a Mac in front of me, or the slightest idea of what the screens look like. Windows on a PC I can do in my sleep, Macs are a whole different issue.

Similar request is posted at:

Mac OSX hints forum link (http://forums.macosxhints.com/)

I signed up there, but the first two posts must be reviewed by a mod before getting posted, so at the time of this posting, I have no thread number. Sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Brandtrock
01-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Computer type: iMac G3
Processor Speed: 500 MHz
OS X version: 10.3.6
Printer: Epson Stylus C40 UX
Scanner: HP Precision Scan Pro
Printer Drivers: current drivers downloaded by consultant from internet
Scanner Drivers: current drivers downloaded by consultant from internet

Other information:
Boot ROM version 4.1.7f4
L2 Cache: 256 KB
Bus speed: 100 MHz
Memory: 384 MB
SDRAM: 300 MB
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.15)

From my discussion,

Prior to going to the consultant to get fixed:
When the machine booted, OS9 would boot, then "I clicked on a couple of things and OSX would run". The printer was never used prior to the OSX being installed. The scanner worked fine.

After going to the consultant to get fixed:
The machine boots straight to OSX. The printer will try to print, but nothing comes out on the paper. I told him to get a new ink cartridge and not to get any white out on his monitor. The scanner sends up an error box saying that the OS9 folder cannot be located.

My friend has no connection to the internet, so I am unable to do anything nifty like install a "Share My Desktop" application and control what is going on via my machine. I have to fly blind so to speak on this one.

I'm hopeful that Shades or someone else here will have a suggestion that I can pass on. If not, then I'll have to send him off to a better techie than the one he used before.

TIA

shades
01-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Given this information, it means that he can boot into OS X or into OS 9 (newer macs can only boot into OS X, then run in emulation of OS 9 called Classic).

For the printer/scanner he has drivers/software installed for OS 9, but not OS X. If possible he should contact the companies for OS X drivers for the printer and the scanner. Those will have to be loaded when he is booted into OS X.
In order to print in OS 9, he should reboot into OS 9.

I'm not at home, so I am going by memory, but it appears that the tech changed the startup disk on his machine - easy to correct, though. In the Dock (at the bottom of the screen), click on System Preferences. This will bring up a window with various utilities, preferences, etc. Near the bottom of that widnow there should be an icon named "Startup Disk". If he double-clicks that icon, it will bring up two separate folders. The one selected is the one he is already booted into (should be OS X). Click on the other folder - OS 9. Then there should be a restart button highlighted. Click that button and the computer will restart in OS 9. Printing and scanning should work.

If that works, he can boot back into OS X by going to the Apple (upper left menu) and select Control Panels. Then find System Startup Disk, and choose the OS X folder, and Restart the computer.

HTH

Brandtrock
01-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Thanks Shades!

I will call him back this weekend and get him straightened out.

I appreciate the direction more than I can adequately express in words.

You are the greatest!!

Thanks again,

shades
01-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Any update on this?

Brandtrock
01-22-2005, 12:54 PM
He's off and running, I think. I'll double check and post back if he needs any more help.

Thanks again Shades.

Brandtrock
01-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Actually received a CD in the mail that he burned of pictures of a wedding he did photos at. WOOHOO!!

He mentioned he is thinking of getting a new Mac.

His main interest is video/picture production.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all you've done already,