PDA

View Full Version : Excel 2007 and Conditional formatting

Tenspeed39355
07-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Good morning guys. I am having a hard time using just one part of
the conditional formatting. I want to use the ICON SETS arrows to show that the numbers in column B are MORE /LESS than the numbers in column A.
I want to use the green arrows if the numbers are more and the red if the numbers are less. For some reason I can not get that to work. Any help on this. Thanks in advance for your time with this problem.
Max

Bob Phillips
07-05-2007, 08:09 AM
I don't think they work as you want, it seems to be an indication of a value within a list. Looks like a typical bit of new functionality to me, lots of work expended on relatively worthless functionality. I have found little use for most of the ne CF colour gizmos.

Ken Puls
07-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Hi Max,

I used a helper column for this, but you could probably just put the arrows in column B if you wanted. Go to Conditional Formatting|Icons Sets|More Rules. I've attached a screen shot of the settings I chose.

EDIT: Of course I set the formula in column C backwards to what you wanted, but you get the idea.

HTH,

Ken Puls
07-05-2007, 08:43 AM
It occurs to me that using a % based format could potentially lead to issues. This shot uses values as the conditions instead. Formula has also been corrected to be B2-A2 rather than the other way round. Settings shown in pic below. :)

Tenspeed39355
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I sort of guested but I thought I would see what you guys came up with
Thanks for your time
Max

Ken Puls
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Curious... did you guested yourself into a solution? Similar or different? Always curious to see other ways to skin the cat. :)