PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Selecting a Cell on a worksheet.

OdiN
07-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Okay I'm cleaning up my program to make it run as fast as I can, so I'm using direct references instead of activating bunches of different sheets. Here's the code that I have:

Worksheets("BAT Files").Range("B" & (xbat + 2)).Select
Worksheets("BAT Files").Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=Selection, Address:=myFS.Getfolder(path) & "\" & myFile.Name, TextToDisplay:="Open File"
With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.Size = 8
End With

Apparently I can't do a Worksheets().Range().Select. I can do a Range().Select if the worksheet is activated. Is there a way to do this?

RichardSchollar
07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
You can only select a cell on the Activesheet. You don't (usually) need to select anything to work with a range howver. Why don't you just set a range reference to the cell(s) you want to work with and then make use of that? eg

Set rng = Worksheets("BAT Files").Range("B" & (xbat + 2))
Worksheets("BAT Files").Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=rng, Address:=myFS.Getfolder(path) & "\" & myFile.Name, TextToDisplay:="Open File"
With rng.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.Size = 8
End With

Richard

OdiN
07-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Yeah that will work. I was hoping there was something I hadn't come across which would let me select a cell. I can understand why you couldn't if the sheet isn't active though. I just didn't want to be activating one of 9 different sheets for each file found. Even with screen updating off I would think that would be slower somewhat.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Norie
07-13-2007, 10:29 AM
OdiN

As Richard has pointed out you don't need to select, and you also don't need to activate either.

OdiN
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
OdiN

As Richard has pointed out you don't need to select, and you also don't need to activate either.

If you want to select, you do have to activate ;)

I just didn't want to do that.

If you could select a cell on a worksheet that isn't active then it would cut down on the number of lines in the code.

Norie
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
But you do not need to select in the first place.:)

Bob Phillips
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
What everyone is saying is that you refrence a cell on a worksheet. Don't select it, but process by reference, and there is no need to activate. A paradigm shift.