PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Paste Special,Text question

vzachin
07-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi,

this is not a vba question but i'm hoping that someone can help me with this question.

i'm copying one line of data which consists of 4 fields from a mainframe application and want to paste all the data into cell A1. instead, the data is spread out across A1,B1,C1 & D1.

if i do a Paste Special,Text then all the data appears in one cell A1.

Is there any other way of pasting this data without doing a Paste Special,Text?

thanks
zach

JimmyTheHand
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi :hi:

If you want to paste many rows and, at the same time, have fewer clicks, then you can just paste them as they will, spread out across A,B,C & D columns.
In the end, when you have pasted all rows, you concatenate those strings into column E, to get the whole string. Thus formula of E1 will be

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1,D1) Do this for all rows, then copy column E, Paste Special, Values into column F, so you have the strings, as intended, in column F.
Now, delete Column A through E.

Does this help?

Jimmy

mdmackillop
07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
You can of course run some code to automate what Jimmy has suggested. If it is only one line, it may make little difference which route you follow.

vzachin
07-17-2007, 06:46 PM
thanks guys. that helps. trying to get people to right click,pastespecial,text is asking for too much sometimes. i'll probably automate it.

thanks again
zach