PDA

View Full Version : wireless connection drops to ZERO from 3/4 meters away from router - lead walls?

crmpicco
07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Can anyone help with a persistent issue I am having with my Belkin 54g Wireless router?
The signal I am getting is terrible (really bad!), if I move 3/4 meters away from the router and into the next room with my laptop then the signal drops to Very Low or cuts off (as WinXP reports it).

I have been through all the procedures, firmware update, change the channel, change positioning with Belkin. They have even sent me a replacement router - completely brand new one. The problem still persists. I can't seem to get a way around this one.

I've had a reply on another forum (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=115287) stating that my walls could be made out of lead. However, the previous owner had wireless in the room I am trying to work in and i'm sure they would put up with terrible signal and bad speeds. The property is 50 years old and don't know what the walls are made out of.

Is there anything else I can try to remedy?

Picco

Charlize
07-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Just subscribing to this one because I have the same problem with a Dlink 54 G+ modem. Worked very well for a month or three. Then the troubles started. A bad connection ??? Huuu, it worked wel for three months ? After a week of two trying everything I know about wireless connections with a usb stick, I gave up. Last thing was something of putting the mac address of the computer (laptop) into the router + the ip address of the laptop. But I have had it with wireless connections and went to a store to buy a networkcable of 30 m (so I could sit in my garden) and shutted the wireless signal off.

crmpicco
07-19-2007, 03:33 PM
I haven't had a great deal of success with this problem Charlize. I have posted up on another couple of forums (CodingForums and Experts Exchange) but no reall good answers. Just 'change the channel' and stuff like that. I think i might try taking the router and my laptop to my mother-in-law's and setting it up there to see if I have the same problem at her house.

Her house is newer and it is a house, not a flat like mine.

I suppose that would lead me to the fact that it is my flat :-(

Picco

Qubit
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Just a shot in the dark...do you have a cordless phone in proximity?...another user I helped had a 2.4Ghz cordless phone that interfered dramatically with the wireless router...

Charlize
11-12-2007, 03:24 AM
Well, for some reason I've tried again to get my laptop connected to my wireless router. This is what I've done.

1. Uninstall the driver for my usb stick on the laptop
2. Did a hard reset (with a pencil) of the router
3. Reconfigured the router with the original cd
4. Installed the software for my usb stick on laptop
5. Put stick into laptop
6. Give the wep acces idnumber to connect to my router
7. It worked

--- And now I've labeled the usb port where I've put that stick in for the first time. ---

Don't know why it works now, but I'm glad that I don't need that cable anymore. If it still works when the summer is back, I'll be a happy person ...