PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Bar/Control Toolbox/Forms

maxflia10
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Can anyone explain to a noob like me, what is the difference between a scroll bar created using a Control Toolbox and Forms? And when to use each in a given situation? TIA

Bob Phillips
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
This is a general comment about forms controls as against control toolbox controls.

The forms toolbar is simplest, and is probably best integrated into Excel.

The control toolbox is harder to work with, but offers more flexibility
(such as background colour of controls).

Another disadvantage of the Forms controls, no textbox. Either use a drawing
bar textbox, or a controls toolbox.

Use the one you are comfortable with. Personally, I don't like controls on a
worksheet, I prefer trapping events, or adding toolbar buttons.

maxflia10
07-30-2007, 01:00 PM
xld,

Thank-you for your time and prompt response. Can you give me an example on when I would WANT to use a scroll bar from either of the menus?

Bob Phillips
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
If you don't have a particular reason to use one, why do you ask? I don'[t do homework.

maxflia10
07-30-2007, 01:22 PM
If you don't have a particular reason to use one, why do you ask? I don'[t do homework.

:rofl:

No not homework. Anne can attest to that! I was just curious. Again thanks for your time.

rory
07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
My tuppence worth would also be that if you don't have an absolute need for functionality from the Control Toolbox controls, always use the Forms controls which are much more stable.
You might use a scrollbar if you wanted an interactive chart with a timeline on the X axis and you wanted to be able to say scroll back and forth showing a 12 month window.
Regards,
Rory

maxflia10
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
My tuppence worth would also be that if you don't have an absolute need for functionality from the Control Toolbox controls, always use the Forms controls which are much more stable.
You might use a scrollbar if you wanted an interactive chart with a timeline on the X axis and you wanted to be able to say scroll back and forth showing a 12 month window.
Regards,
Rory

Rory,

Thank-you!