PDA

View Full Version : making calculation easier through data organization

blumfeld0
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi. I must say this is a fantastic forum.
I'm new to excel and have a difficult problem that is hard to explain so I will do my best and be clear as possible.
Cells $C$1, $D$1, $E$1, F1 through F1001 and H1 through H1001(which correspond to F1->F1001) are inputs for a formula.
The thing is that there are actually two methods(formulas) of calculations, one for calculating something called "high", call it method A. and one calculating something called "low", call this method B.
The problem is that the spreadsheet I have been handed (in column G1 through G1001) says "high" and "low" in no pattern. It is completely random! example:
G
1 low
2 high
3 high
4 low
5 high
etc etc all the way to 1001.
So this means for G1 I have to use method B, for G2 method A, G3 method A etc etc. Of course if I only had to do this a few times I could copy and paste a few times. But I have to do this 1001 times and thousands times more for future spreadsheets I'll be receving in the upcoming weeks to do the same thing.
Is there anyway I can write an "IF" stament or any option or command on excel that I can use to organize my data?
I think I would prefer to have something like
F1 through F500 and the corresponding H1 through H500 all be "high"
and F501 through F1001 and the corresponding H501 through H1001 all be "lows".
that would be great so I can just copy and paste a couple of times and then drag. Of course I can put all this data into other columns. thats no problem.
any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope what i wrote makes sense.

Bob Phillips
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
How about just srting the data?

blumfeld0
07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Hello. Thanks for the response.
Im not sure what you mean by sort the data?
If i think i know what youre saying thats exactly why i need help.
That would take forever. I would have to copy and paste thousands and thousands of cells. You see there is no pattern or order.
remember the value of
the number in F1 corresponds to G1(which either randomly says "high" or "low") corresponds to the number in H1.
F2 corresponds to G2 corresponds to H2.
etc etc.
The rows in column G tell me what method to use-either the method for calculating "high" or the method for calculating "low" depending on whether the columns in G actually say the words "high" or "low".
I use the numbers in F and H (as well as C1, D1 and E1-but these are fixed) to make the calculations and output them in column I.
thanks in advance!

Bob Phillips
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
If you sort it, you copy and paste nothing, Excel reorganises it.

Lookup sort in Help.