PDA

View Full Version : Need data from another ss

Tenspeed39355
07-31-2007, 04:50 AM
Good morning guys. Is there a way to bring over data from another ss to Sheet1 in my current ss? This is what I would like to do. In my current ss in A2 I want to put in just one stock symbol. When the symbol is entered
I would like for the program to go to the ss that has the data and bring it back to B2:Z2. The ss that has the data has 650 symbols in column A and in column B:Z there are the numbers that I would like to bring back to my current ss. They can be posted in B2:Z2. I have tried to use HLookup but that does not seem to work. Can you help me with this problem?
Thanks
Max
ps I only need to data for just the symbol I put in. If I change the symbol
then I would get the data for the new symbol

rory
07-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Hi,
You need VLOOKUP, not HLOOKUP:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[otherbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$Z$650,2,FALSE)
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[otherbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$Z$650,3,FALSE)
and so on.

Regards,
Rory

matthewspatrick
07-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Have you tried using simple VLOOKUP formulae? This seems like the classic VLOOKUP situation...

Tenspeed39355
07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
The VLookup command will not work. I will try another way for you to understand what I need.
I want to put one (1) symbol in Sheet1, A2. In another ss in Sheet1, column A2:A650 contains all the symbols. In the other ss with all the symbols each column has numbers like 10.34 12.36 18.26 12.25.
Each symbol has numbers running from Column B to column Z.
When I type in just one symbol in the current ss I want the program to go
to the ss that has all 650 symbols, go down the list until it finds the symbol I just typed and brings back all the number for that symbol.
If I type in another symbol I want the program to look for that symbol and bring back all the numbers B:Z for that symbol.
Can that be done?? Thanks for your time with this
Max

rory
07-31-2007, 08:01 AM
That is what the VLOOKUP formula does - I can't see any difference, so why do you say it will not work?

Tenspeed39355
07-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Rory You are correct the vlookup does work. The one problem is with the
comumn indecator. The 2,3,4,5, have to be changed manually and then the vlookup will work. I did not want to change all the column indedcators by hand. There is three years worth of data set up by the week. That means I will have to change 156 or so by hand. Is there a way to change all at one time to start the program.
Max

rory
07-31-2007, 08:45 AM
If you want to bring B column data back to column B on the main sheet and C to C, D to D etc., you can use:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'[otherbook.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$Z$650,COLUMN(),FALSE)

and just copy it across to other columns.
Regards,
Rory