PDA

View Full Version : copied values add color

Emoncada
07-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't know if this is possible or not.
I have this formula

=TEXT(" ip address "&Sheet1!$D2&" 255.255.255.255",)

Is it possible for the values that come with Sheet1!D2 be in red and bold? Possibly a conditional formatting or something.

I would like for it to look like this
ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.255

Something like that. Any Ideas?

Norie
07-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Sorry, that just isn't possible.

Without VBA that is and that would involve converting the formula to it's resultant value.

Emoncada
07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
So it could work with vba? what do you mean converting the formula to it's resultant value?

fumei
08-01-2007, 10:41 AM
It means formatting the value (as a string). It means taking Sheet1!$D2 and getting its value, as a string.

BTW: is this a Word question? This is the Word forum. Looks very Excel-ish to me.

Norie
08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Gerry

Well spotted.:)

I'll need to pay more attention to which forum topics are in.:oops:

fumei
08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Actually, we don't really know. It may in fact be some sort of Word question that has not been stated. Although...ummm, it sure looks like Excel.

Emoncada
08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
Actually it is an excel question only thing is it originally was a word document. Basically I have an excel spreadsheet and a word document. I need to pull data from the spreadsheet into the word document. I copied the word document into another worksheet in the spreadsheet to maybe be able to accomplish my task and then copy and paste back into word. Sorry for the confusion. Any help would be great.

fumei
08-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Sorry, but that was a very confusing reply.

If the string is in Word....then yes, you can find a way to format it like that. ONCE you have done what has been mentioned twice already.

You have it as a string.

Emoncada
08-10-2007, 06:19 AM
ok I have a spreadsheet that is given to me with rows of information. That information needs to be copied into a word document. Each Row would be 1 word document. So the word document has a lot of information. There are certain parts in the document marked like this <<Router Name>>
This would need to be pulled from the spreadsheet and replaced with cell D2 in the spreadsheet. So <<Router Name>> would change to TB845A11. Basically is there any way I can run something so excel would look at this document and find the one's with << >> and depending on what word was in between that it would copy the correct column.

Emoncada
08-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I was thinking of in sheet 2 to have just the column headers and one row of data so the word document can just look at that one row instead of looking at an entire sheet of data. So it can always be the same cells. just different data in the cells. It would always look at row 2. I don't know if that would make it easier.

Norie
08-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Couldn't you just use Word mail merge?

fumei
08-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Indeed.

Plus, you are changing the thread. You asked about making a specific range of text a specific colour.

Now you are asking on transfering the data itself from Excel.
Basically is there any way I can run something so excel would look at this document and find the one's with << >> and depending on what word was in between that it would copy the correct column.

The answer to that is, yes. It would help immensely if you described your document better. Are these ranges (<<whatever>>) bookmarked? If they are, then just go through the Bookmark collection, extract the appropriate text - "Router Name" - and using straightforward logic get the Excel data from the appropriste cell. Replace the bookmark text with that data. Go to the next bookmark.

If they are NOT bookmarked (and I am guessing they are not), then you will need to do a Search for "<<xxxxxxxxxxxx>>", then strip out the name.

Having them bookmarked would be WAAAAAY easier, but Find can do what you are asking. Although it does not have much to do with the subject of the thread.

Or, use mail merge.