PDA

View Full Version : Excel locking up when trying to delete all cell contents or select columns

n8Mills
08-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello!

I am having a very bizarre error, starting today. When I use the code cells.select or columns("x:x").select then selection.delete on certain worksheets it will cause Excel to stop responding for about 5 minutes. It's very strange because I'm running the same Macros for 6 months and have never encountered this problem. I have also checked with coworkers and the same sheet that locks me up causes them no problems.

I have no idea how to diagnose this problem, does anyone else have some idea what this might be?

Thanks for any help,

Nate

rory
08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi,
Which version of Excel? Do you have any add-ins loaded?
Regards,
Rory

n8Mills
08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Rory,

It's Office 2003, and I'm not running any add-ins. I might have added references to the Outlook object library, but I don't think that I did. One thought I had today as a workaround would be to activate manual calculations in the VBA before deleting all cells or whole rows, but it doesn't answer the concern. Another thing: deleting the sheet can happen without flaw, but deleting the contents of the cells within locks me up. I'll check when I get back to work, maybe I added protection to the sheet inadvertantly...

n8

rory
08-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Are the others for whom it works using the same version of Office? Has anything changed on your machine recently?
Does it happen if you skip the selection part - i.e. just use Columns("X:X").Delete? (I wouldn't use Cells.Delete, I'd just use Cells.Clear)
Regards,
Rory
PS Any code in the worksheet events?

daniel_d_n_r
08-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Hows your hard drive?
maybe even RAM...:think:
I have jammed up excel quite a bit with large column data.

n8Mills
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi guys,

To answer both: Everyone here has the same version of Office, I have a Gig of RAM and 40 gigs of free HD space.

I have a feeling that I corrupted my files somehow the day before as there are a few sheets that are goofed up.

I have some things to try, let me reply later...