PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Headers and Footers do not show up in template...

blazonQC
08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi, this isn't really a question that applies to vba, but I figured I would ask here anyway...

At the company we have a set of 'work instructions' . All of the work instructions are saved as sub-documents with a specific table header created at our coporate office. Every time we are issued a new work instruction we must open up a previously saved work instruction and erase everything from the body and the header and then put in the new information. We would like to be able to just open up a blank document with the header already inserted, so we tried to save a blank doc with the header AND we have tried to save the document as a template. For some reason, however, the template opens w/o the header and the blank sub-document we saved opens with the information that was previously in it no matter how many times we save it as a blank.....

My question is: "How can we save a document with a blank table header?"

Thanks,
Chad

fumei
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Please clarify if these are really sub-documents - that is, there is a relationship with a Master document. NOT a template, but a Master document.

blazonQC
08-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, they are actually sub-documents nested inside a master document.

Ex.
Open document > Workinst.bsa.doc

Inside is a list of files like so (except many many more):

301-PRD.doc
302-MFG.doc
303-SHP.doc
035-W35.doc

End Ex.

Let's say I open up the sub-document 035-W35.doc and I clear all of the text out of the body AND the header of the document then:

Save As... > winstemp.doc (work instructions template)

The file WILL save as sub-document and appear when I open the master document, but after saving the new sub as blank AND saving the master document as a whole, the next time I open the sub-doc it will contain all of the data from 035-W35.doc ......

BTW, I am very aware that this is technically not a template..... (*.dot)

I have also tried to create a new document with the header in it and save it as a template (*.dot) but for some reason the header will not save at all. I have tried many different times in many different ways but it always comes up blank.... I've even put data in the header to try and force Word to save the header, but alas no luck.

Additional Information:
Microsoft Office 2000 Professional
Word 2000 v9.0.2720

If you need any more info just let me know.

Thanks for the reply,
Chad

fumei
08-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately I have to go away for a week or so. Therefore I don't have time to mess around with this. I avoid use of Master/Sub documents like the plague. Word has never got them right IMO.

My guess though is that it is doing this simply because you are doing a SaveAs. WHY are you doing a SaveAs? This does not remove the original 035-W35.doc as a legitimate sub-doc. So...it is still there.

I have also tried to create a new document with the header in it and save it as a template (*.dot) but for some reason the header will not save at all. I have tried many different times in many different ways but it always comes up blank.... I've even put data in the header to try and force Word to save the header, but alas no luck.I would be curious to see your efforts on this, because properly done, Word handles headers quite well.

blazonQC
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I avoid use of Master/Sub documents like the plague. Word has never got them right IMO.

I agree, they are more of a hassle to deal with than they are helpful. Believe me, I have tried to persuade my boss to stray from the Master/Sub documents, but he is stubborn. Gotta get paid..... :P

My guess though is that it is doing this simply because you are doing a SaveAs. WHY are you doing a SaveAs? This does not remove the original 035-W35.doc as a legitimate sub-doc. So...it is still there.

From what I see, you are assuming that I didn't alter the document

Let's say I open up the sub-document 035-W35.doc and I clear all of the text out of the body AND the header of the document then:

Save As... > winstemp.doc (work instructions template)

^ Which SHOULD save a blank document with the header intact. No sense in recreating something we already have. I would like to retain the information in 035-W35.doc . Also, this is how we are having to create new work instructions since we have had problems saving just a blank template. So why does it work when creating a new document with information in it, but not when we want to create a new document with no real information in it except the header?

I have also tried to create a new document with the header in it and save it as a template (*.dot) but for some reason the header will not save at all. I have tried many different times in many different ways but it always comes up blank.... I've even put data in the header to try and force Word to save the header, but alas no luck.

I would be curious to see your efforts on this, because properly done, Word handles headers quite well.

Open Word 2000

View > Headers and Footers...
Tables > Insert > Table...
File > Save/SaveAs > Document Template (*.dot)

Wrong way? :P lol

Anyway, despite all of this typing, I ended up fixing the problem. I took the work home with me one night and created a template with my version of Word (2003 Professional) . Worked like a charm doing it the same way I attempted to at work on 2000 . Thanks for the help.

Chad