PDA

View Full Version : Stumped with XL 2007 Add-Ins Tab

david000
08-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey dudes…I updated my copy of Excel 2003 to Excel 2007 and I am having a terrible time;
removing,
deleting,
finding
the source of a custom toolbar that installs itself somehow in the "XLSTART template" whenever I open Excel.

The toolbar in question is simply my PERSONAL module macros ON A REGULAR 2003 TOOLBAR.
I left it there throughout the update process thinking nothing of it whatsoever.

I have changed the (correct) template a dozen times with the toolbar removed ---- still comes back from seemingly nowhere!

:think: Registry? < haven’t tried yet. Don't know where to look!

Bob Phillips
08-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Do you have any code that builds it?

rory
08-15-2007, 01:37 AM
I think (I avoid upgrades generally, preferring a clean installation) that if you had customised your toolbars in 2003, then 2007 puts these customisations on the Add-ins tab. If you don't want them, you need to locate the Excel12.xlb file in XLSTART and remove it (with Excel closed).

david000
08-15-2007, 05:57 AM
No – no code that builds it, and it was (I thought ) a clean install I just did one of those non-destructive recoveries of Windows XP.
Which deletes ALL your programs and keeps all your documents in the same place, I thought it was a good time to upgrade.
But, Windows kept, to my surprise, this one custom toolbar. And a consumer level “Google” toolbar in Outlook is also totally undeletable.

rory
08-15-2007, 06:04 AM
So did you try removing the xlb file?
For Outlook, the Google toolbar is probably down to a COM add-in which you will need to disable.

david000
08-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I removed it, changed it, modified it, talked to it, took it out for lunch, and nothing.
I'm just going to check my warrantee and see if I get any free tech support.

Meanwhile: I'm trying to learn the nuts and boltz here of this ribbon thing...
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm

I learned my lesson ALWAYS DO A SUPER CLEAN INSTALL!!!

rory
08-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Have you checked both XLSTART directories? What exactly do you mean by the "XLSTART template"?

david000
08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
The stock instruction with Excel 12 say to –
Browse to your XLStart folder, which is located in the directory where Office Excel 2007 or the 2007 Office release is installed (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12), and then in the File name box, do one of the following:
To create a default workbook, enter book.xltx.
To create a default worksheet, enter sheet.xltx.
In the Save as type list, click Excel Template (*.xltx), and then click Save.
Note Any template in the default XLStart folder opens automatically when you start Excel 2007
In my case this is the correct path to the starting workbook. And, I can change this template to open as a different default style, but I cannot make the Add-Ins Tab custom toolbar go away from my previous install.

rory
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
There are 2 XLSTART directories - one as specified there and another in the C:\Documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\Excel directory (unless you're on Vista in which case the path is probably different). Check both for workbooks and also check the above directory for any other xlb files. If you have a personal.xls file and you attached a toolbar to it in 2003, that might also be the cause.

david000
08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
DAMN!
AWESOME!
WORKED!!!!
I’ve done that step on my work computer - and I never thought about that at home.
To anyone else reading this it’s good to note that the Application Data Folder is hidden by default on XP Home and Pro.