PDA

View Full Version : Help:How to creat matrix bar chart

yurble_vn
08-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

I have read somewhere the way to creat matrix column chart through stacked chart.

But is there anyway to creat matrix bar chart ? Please kindly give help on this...

There are some where talked about using bar chart with 0% gap width. But the height of bar is not updatable. And in some how, should there be auto-updatable way??

For more details,by saying maxtrix bar chart I mean this :
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/UserImages/AI2306.gif

Thanks all,

daniel_d_n_r
08-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Your matrix there is directly pasted from a tutorial on the very subject..

So are you saying you cannot change the data values and have the chart update itself automatically.

I haven't really tried it with this example yet, but usually when you change the data the chart will update itself accordingly.

what do you mean by update bar height, because to me bar height is dependant on the data.

cheers

yurble_vn
08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
IN the tutorrial, they just show the way to build a column chart with variable width.

But In some case, we need a bart chart with a variable height.

For example, in the above picture. How can we built this chart so that, whenever we change the data, the heigth, proportion of the bar will change accordingly?

daniel_d_n_r
08-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Flollow the tutorial down further, it explains how to make a matrix chart with 3 dimensions.
If you look at your example it does have variable height and width.

cheers

yurble_vn
08-20-2007, 07:47 AM
I dont know whether we are talking about the same link..
COuld you please post it here? Or kindly upload the excel file?

daniel_d_n_r
08-21-2007, 01:25 AM
not sure about the cross linking rule here.
just go to google and type in 'Excel Matrix Chart by Jon Peltier'.
If you look at you example in the blue shaded area you will see that LAM is wider than AMG but not higher ect.
As for any more variation than this you might have to look into somthing else.

yurble_vn
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Dear Daniel,

Thanks for prompt reply

Actually, the Matrix is: show proportion in two demension. In the Jon Peltier tutor, there are two matrix Chart:

One is column matrix, which is instructed very carefully in the tutor. But there is an other what Jon Peltier call matrix bar chart <-- this is what I'm mentioning about.

And also in that tutor,Jon does point out that Matrix Chart is to show proportion in two dimension.

So, theoretically, in bar matrix chart, and as above image, the height of each bar will be different to show the proportion of LAM, CHEM,AMG (above chart).

So I think you have misread some thing in my post.

Please kindly help on this.

Thanks all

Thanks all

daniel_d_n_r
08-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Both charts are variable in height and width.
I may have misread somthing yes ,but you need to show some kind of example maybe even of the kind of data you will use.

I am a bit lost to give further help.

In both charts a column or bar is proportional to percentage data.

The actual column or bar will not differ in height or width unless there is a change in proportion/distribution of catagories.

If a catagorie increases in size it will occupy a larger percentage area of the chart series, while others will become the smaller percentage.

Similar to the pie chart described at the top of the tutorial.

cheers

yurble_vn
08-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Get your point,

You can see in Jon tutor, he mentioned about matrix bar chart and matrix column chart. But the tutor just show the way to build matrix column chart. And I dont know how to build the same one, but in bar chart. I can not apply the same methodology, because his tutor is based on area chart which is apply only for column, not bar.

So I think, there must be some way to draw matrix bar chart and ask for help here..

thanks for prompt reply

yurble_vn
08-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Please refer to :http://vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14465 for your information.