PDA

View Full Version : Numbering with letters

mdmackillop
12-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Historically, paragraphs in certain documents our company uses are "numbered" A, B, C etc, commencing with A on each page. I made up some code a while ago which could be manually applied to each page on completion of the document, but it was never wholly satisfactory. Does anyone know of a way to do this style of numbering automatically, which would allow for the insertion and deletion of paragraphs, with subsequent pages self correcting? To complicate matters, not all paragraphs are numbered, so a simple renumbering will not suffice.
MD

Killian
12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
hi there,

is this not just a case for setting an appropriate numbered style for these paragraphs? that would re-number (or letter) for deletions and re-ordering. just use a different style to have prar's that aren't numbered. The user would have to select the restart numbering option when they start a new page - maybe that could be automated by finding the first instance of that style on each page and setting the restart numbering option - i guess there'd be no need to test for it since it wouldn't make any difference if it were already starting from A.

mdmackillop
12-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Killian. There's often a deal of cutting and pasting as opposed to simple typing which is part of the problem. I'm sure some form of style manipulation will be the answer, although I'm also thinking of manipulating section breaks, one per page. I'm open to ideas rather than solutions at the moment.
MD

Bilby
12-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Section breaks on each page sound really scary.

In my apps I was required build a 'Insert Blank Page Next' utility. I used the /Page bookmark to select the page (couldn't find any otherway to navigate page ranges).

If your paras have a common style then how about;
Select /Page bookmark and set selection to range
loop thro all paragraphs in range and apply a numbered style.

If you need to automate it you can fake a Next Page routine by selecting the page range and moving the cursor right, then run the ?page bookmark again.

PS If anyone knows of a way to elegantly navigate thro' pages I for one would love to hear it.