PDA

View Full Version : OT: Note to Tommy - .accdb

stanl
08-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Tommy;

That other thread was getting tooooo long and off-topic. But I did want to say that I placed both the test and test1 asp files as well as the etg.mdb and etg.accdb into my inetpub\wwwroot and ran them under IIS.

Even with Office 2007 installed on that machine and the ACE.12 driver working for other purposes, the error message for test1.asp still occurs.

I did search and ASP.Emporium offers web hosting and notes support for Office 2007 - {somehow}

I'm just sensing another Microsoft ClusterF***** :banghead: Stan

Tommy
08-23-2007, 07:52 AM
From the posts I was reading last night that is because you can only see the tables and columns. Anything else craps out. In other words if you actually want to use it it doesn't work. Same problem with C++.

Have you tried using ASP.net? If I remember (it gets hard going back to the tried but true and trying to work with the "new and impoved") it's all based on the NET 2.0 framework (plus service packs). There is some type of download for VB6 to port your code over a little at a time and still take advantage of the NET framework and use VB.NET at the same time. There may be one for ASP, just a hopeful guess.

I'm just sensing another Microsoft ClusterF*****

I assume this from the get go and am comforted by it.:giggle In their defense they can't think of everything, and the end users can't do anything they want to, anytime they want to. But that is no excuse for the lack in the accuracy of their documentation which everyone depends on to use their products.:motz2:

stanl
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I would say WHOA... slow down... as I just want to keep this is ASP not ASP.net

So we both seem to be saying that substituting .accdb for .mdb and

Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 for
MicroSoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0

as a Provider doesn't put the peddle to the metal. Stan

Tommy
08-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes.
From MS's perspective (I am assuming real hard again) they offer SQL Server, use it for the web, use Access for local pc's/ front end to the users on the inside.