PDA

View Full Version : page numbers

northernstar
09-02-2007, 11:07 PM
hi everyone

i have a document which i have put a header into, which includes the page number in the format 'PAGE 2 OF 2 PAGES' i have set it up so that the first 2 is a field and starts at 2 and increments up as the number of pages increases

just wondering if i can set the second 2 to a field so that is automatically detects the number of pages and then adds 1 as this document is attached to a web based program and a front page is added to the document

not sure if this can be done?

thanks in advance

EricFletcher
09-03-2007, 05:56 AM
Sure; use a field formula like this: { = { page } + 1 }

You'll need to construct it with the braces being Word's field code characters and not just type them in. An easy way is to type the formula -- i.e. as "= page + 1" without the quotes -- and then select the parts and press Ctrl-F9 to make them a field. So, select "page" & press Ctrl-F9 to make it {page}; then select from = to 1 and Ctrl-F9 to finish the formula. Press F9 to get Word to calulate the formula and display the result.

EricFletcher
09-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Ooops! When I re-read my response I realize you want to increment the number of pages and not just the current page number. You should use "numpages" instead of "page" in the formula. Note that yoiu can toggle the view of the field codes by pressing Alt-F9.

northernstar
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that, it seems to work ok except that you keep having to press f9 to upate the field is there a way of doing this automatically?

thanks again

fumei
09-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Do a search for this. This question - how to update fields automatically - has been asked a number of times. In fact, you may want to try doing searches for things before you ask.

northernstar
09-04-2007, 04:34 AM
did a search on this and could only find - update fields before printing, which would work but would prefer to see the field update as it was done as printing is not always done

any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

EricFletcher
09-04-2007, 05:34 AM
The field should update automatically. The first F9 calculates the field after you create it. From then on, any action that causes the page to be repaginated will do it automatically. So, for example, switching back and forth between the Normal and Print Layout views, or using Page Preview will do it. If it is within a header/footer, it should update automatically.

Thanks for that, it seems to work ok except that you keep having to press f9 to upate the field is there a way of doing this automatically?