PDA

View Full Version : Document appears odd if inserted but not if opened

SOS
09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi all,

I have a document formatted the way I like it with some tables (no

borders around cells) and if I OPEN the document it looks absolutely fine.

However if I INSERT that document into another (even just a blank one) it

appears different ie. some of the cells in some of the tables now have

borders around them and the columns are not the correct width.

Any ideas

Thanks

falconwing
09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
With Word 2003, I just created a document with some text and tables that I modified by removing the borders on the table and cells and changing the font type and size. I then closed that and did "Insert..." into a blank document and it worked fine.

SOS
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I've managed to fix the issue by recreating the document that is going to

be inserted and overwriting the old one. Then on inserting it into a blank

document it works fine.

I just wondered if anyone else had had this issue before.

Thanks

Seamus

fumei
09-05-2007, 02:57 PM
InsertFile takes on the attributes of the document it is inserted into.

SOS
09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Gerry,

InsertFile takes on the attributes of the document it is inserted into

The basic document is created from a userform (which uses normal.dot as

its source) and then I insert the dodgy document. Does that mean there's

something wrong with my normal.dot?

Seamus

fumei
09-05-2007, 03:11 PM
The basic document is created from a userform (which uses normal.dot as its source)Explain that. Of what relevance is a userform? What do you mean by "source". The userform module is in normal.dot? So what? Of what relevance is that?

As for - "is something wrong with my normal.dot?" - oh, well......probably.

I have thousands and thousands of lines of code, in hundreds and hundreds of procedures. Dozens and dozens of userforms. Much less than 1% of any of that is in normal.dot.

I use global templates. I try and keep normal.dot as empty and clean as possible. I would strongly suggest you do so as well. Normal.dot is easily corrupted, even Microsoft says so. They suggest keeping code in a global template. I do too.

lucas
09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I have learned the hard way too. Nothing in Normal.dot. I sometimes record a macro for a starting place but when I get what I need from it I delete it from normal.

SOS
09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Gerry,

I can't replicate the problem.

Basically there is a main template (No 1) that contains a userform. Userform is filled in and on clicking OK that userform will create a document based on another template (No 2) (which contains text and formatting for a letter).

Once that's done another document will be inserted into that document following an Insert Page Break.

Sometimes the inserted document would have some of the tables in it have borders around them with other tables appearing correct with no borders.

So does that mean that the template (No 2) has some attributes that need to be sorted?

There is no code stored in normal.dot

Thanks

Seamus