PDA

View Full Version : Delete Blank Page

markh1182
09-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to somehow search a Word document and if a page is blank, delete it?

Thanks, Mark

fumei
09-07-2007, 07:40 AM
...yeeeesssss...but could you give a bit more detail on your situation? Why are there blank pages? What is actually causing blank pages? Word does not make blank pages randomly.

markh1182
09-07-2007, 08:04 AM
It is because the text on a document is resized after we have converted it.

It moves some text up a page and the text below is set to start on a new page (using a page break), however it leaves a blank page in between.

However, I guess depending on the layout of a document before conversion, I don't think this will always happen. If nothing is obviously possible, we will leave it to the users to check and remove manually.

markh1182
09-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I may have found a way to do this by going to the style that is in question and moving up a line to then delete the unnecessary page break.

fumei
09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Sorry, but that told me nothing useful at all.

"a document is resized after we have converted it."

Do you really think that is informative? "resized"? "converted it"? Right. I am a mind reader, and I completely know what "converted" means.

Converted from WHAT? HOW is it converted?

"It moves some text up a page and the text below is set to start on a new page (using a page break), however it leaves a blank page in between.
"

What is the "it"???? Is this "it" some code that doing some (unkown) converting? There is code that is actually inserting a page break? If so...take that code out.

Well, I hope you have figured it out, because we certainly could not help with what you have posted.

Anne Troy
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Jerry: Do me a favor, please? Either point people to an article like mine:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/beginners_guide_to_getting_free_help_on_the_web.htm

Or write one for yourself and I'll put it up for you...
I think it might be nicer than bitching at people out in the open. :)
Believe me. I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, so many of these people have never asked for help before or are (yes, I suppose some are) just too stupid to think that we might need certain information or the detail that we need. I did learn one thing answering the phones at that helpdesk, tho, and that is that some of the stupidest questions turned out to be some of the best and the ones that made me learn the most. Okay, I'll stop patronizing. I love you, but sometimes you're a bit rough. Now, I might like that, but not everyone does. LOL!!

fumei
09-11-2007, 09:29 AM
OK. You made my cheeks blush in embarassment that you felt you needed to say that.

OK. Will do. My apologies.

geekgirlau
09-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Mark,

The trick is to avoid hard (manual) page breaks like the plague. How? By using a combination of the options available under Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks

If you want certain headings (usually main headings) to start on a new page, use the Heading 1 style and modify the paragraph formatting to include "Page break before"
If you want paragraphs to stay together on the one page (i.e. never split a paragraph over a page break), use "Keep lines together"
If you have multiple paragraphs that you want to keep together (for example, a diagram followed by an explanation) use "Keep with next"Manual page breaks are more trouble than they are worth, and in 99% of cases completely unnecessary.

lucas
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
In Gerry's defense, we do spend more time asking questions of the people asking questions than we do answering questions....I understand your frustration Gerry.

fumei
10-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks Steve, but Anne was correct. I was overly aggressive and rude. There was no call for the extent I was sarcastic. It was beyond normal frustration, and I think she was right to call me on it.