PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a way to show/hide helper text within a word document

tjamison
09-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Greetings,

I am creating a Technical architecture document (TAD) that contains sections, as well as some helper text that I created to assist the writer in providing the correct information for the TAD.

My problem is, I would like to find a good way to hide the helper text for the entire document, show the helper text for the entire document, and show and hide the helper text for specific sections.

From the research that I have performed, I know how to hide or delete text, but I am having some serious issues with positioning within the document after I have performed a text hide/delete/etc.

If somebody could point me in the direction for properly hiding / showing text (and wrapping the code in a vba button to put in the document), as well as positioning within the document after making the changes, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have included a sample doc that shows the sections and helper text.

Thanks,

Todd Jamison

lucas
09-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi Todd,
No attachment

tjamison
09-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I have attached sample document.zip

It is a word 2003 file.

Thanks,

Todd

lucas
09-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Try it again Todd. Your zip was empty

tjamison
09-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, I fixed the zip issue. Bad technology day for me today I guess...

Thanks,

Todd

lucas
09-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not great at Word but Gerry put a similar example up for someone else and I thought it was perfect.....might work for you too. It uses a style for the text you wish to hide/show. You could use mult styles for your sections and a different macro to show/hide them.

Look on the main menu for show and hide to run the macro's in the example..see attached. Name of the style to hide/show in the example is HelpText

lucas
09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Here is one with the menu set up for hide/show all and hide/show section3 just to get you started.