PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How to move a comment?

GreenTree
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm generating spreadsheets using code, and am putting comments on each column heading to explain the data in that column. Works fine, until...

One column is quite wide, well over half the screen, and when you hover over it the comment shows up to the right of the cell, which takes it mostly off the screen. I'd like to force the comment to appear to the LEFT of the top right corner of the cell, in other words, over the cell itself. Haven't been able to find a way to make that happen. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

G.T.

rory
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM
You can move the comments if they are shown on the sheet. If they only popup when you hover over the cell, they will always appear to the right of the cell (well, unless you choose to view the whole sheet Right-to-Left, which I don't imagine helps much!) Your best bet may be to have that comment permanently visible.

unmarkedhelicopter
09-14-2007, 02:44 AM
You have to remeber that comments (used like this, generally the way most people use them) are hints as to what the column/row/range/cell does in the overall context of the spreadsheet. This means that the more you use it the less you need the comments. But ... if you don't use it often or are completely new to the sheet, you soon learn what the little red triangles are for :) .
I would advise against making it permanently visible.
With the comment as you decribe it, can you not make the column narrower and then resize the comment to suit ? I know it's a compromise and you may not wish to enable text-wrapping on your cells as it can mess up your table layout, but compromises are always necessary someplace. :dunno

YellowLabPro
09-14-2007, 03:06 AM
GT,
I run into this problem as well- an alternative might be.... if you don't need to see all the data in that column is to force that column to an acceptable size .columns(5).columnwidth=15 or 20, 25 .... to keep the focus on the sheet rather than the data. (This expands UMH's comment)

GreenTree
09-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Thanks, guys. The column I'm working with is a "picture" of a month, as a single text cel of stuff that's going on during the month. All the other columns of the spreadsheet are meant to be filtered & sorted, althought the "picture" is only that, and trying to sort on it would give meanless results, so I've resisted turning it into 31 separate columns. Guys would try to sort on October 5th, and wonder why their results look so goofy. BUT... narrow columns like that would make the comments much easier. Have to give it some thought.

But thanks for the really salient piece of info, which is that I can cease work trying to move the pop-up comments.

Thread marked solved. Thanks again!

G.T.

YellowLabPro
09-15-2007, 06:41 AM
GT,
What about sticking the picture in a comment, you can either then hide/show on rollover or hide completely through options? This column now becomes searchable.
Download the excerpt and it will show you how. I do this also quite frequently.
I am thinking this can be programmed after you get it tweaked.
http://www.iil.com/publishing/excel.asp