PDA

View Full Version : Hosting an Access .mdb file on a www location

Dr.K
09-15-2007, 04:45 PM
:banghead: ggrrr....

I have an an Excel VBA application, which pulls data from an Access database. I want everyone in the company to use the same database, but there is no mapped server space that is universally available. However, there is a company-wide intranet, so I decided to try hosting it there.

The intranet department is taking forever to set this up for me... I wanted to test my code, so I tried FTPing my mdb file to some un-unprotected space on a friends website. I tried calling it with this code:

Set CNN = New ADODB.Connection
CNN.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _
& "Data Source=//WebSiteName.org/testdb/TestDB2.mdb"

This sits there for a while, and comes back with an error:

'\\WebSiteName.org\testdb\TestDB2.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

If I substitute a local copy, the code works fine.

CNN.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=C:\TestDB2.mdb"

Am I missing something basic here? Do I have to change the connection string to go out over the web?

Any advice is appreciated.

stanl
09-16-2007, 07:28 AM
hmmm:think: can any part of the Intranet be mapped to a local drive? If not, does the intranet support .asp? If not PHP, or CGI? Stan

Dr.K
09-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Well, I must confess ignorance of how that server side stuff works... I've only ever updated websites by FTPing static files.

Besides, I'm sure the Intranet people at work can figue it out, sooner or later. (I give them at least another week)

But I'm testing this at home right now, using the INTERNET. Yes, the open internet. As I said, I FTPed the mdb file to some un-protected space on a webserver. I pretty sure that I need to do more then that, but I don't know what.