PDA

View Full Version : Golf Score Tracker

shiv jalli
09-16-2007, 12:42 PM
I would like to keep a record my golf scores, total score, fairways hit, greens in regulation number of puts etc. Does anybody have simple access database or excel spreadsheet that they have used.

Many Thanks in anticipation.
Shiv.

OBP
09-17-2007, 01:54 AM
I haven't got one, but I can quickly create you a simple Access Database if you can tell what you want to Store, what type of entry it will be, value, text or distance etc.
Do you just use one Course or do you want to store data on more than one Course?
What do you want to get OUT of the database in terms of displaying data?
averages, overall Statistics?

shiv jalli
09-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi OBP,

Thanks for your kind offer. I am inexperienced in tecnhical matters on Access but I am willing to learn. Any help and assistance you provide will be gratefully accepted.

I am trying to keep a record for my son who has taken up golf and have the following ideas in mind.

The ability to hold information on more than 1 course

Hole, Number (Range 1 to 18)
Par, Number (3, 4 or 5)
Stroke Index, Number (Level of difficulty for a hole Range 1-18, no validation required)
Yardage, Number

The ability to record and store the score of more than 1 round via a data input screen. An add button and an update button to be available on the data input screen.

Course Played, Selectable from drop/down from previously stored as above. Can be changed by reselecting but should remain the unchanged whether the add or update buttons are hit.

Hole, Number should default to 1 on initial entry to data input screen. Only one of the add or update button will be enabled. On hitting the add or update buttons the hole should increment by 1 once 18 is reached cycle back to 1. The add button should be disabled if a valid entry for the hole already exists in this instance the update button should be enabled. The update button should be disabled in no valid entry for the hole already exists in this instance the add button should be enabled.

For each hole the following data needs to be captured

Date, Date/time should default to today date, Allow the user to change but should remain the unchanged whether the add or update buttons are hit.
Number of Shots Taken, Number should display information previously entered and stored for this course, hole & date or default to blank if no entry found
Fairway Hit, one item from list (Yes, No or N/A) should display information previously stored for this course, hole & date or default to Yes if no entry found
Green in Regulation, one item from list (Yes or No) should display information previously entered and stored for this course, hole & date or default to Yes if no entry found
Number of Puts, Number should display information previously entered and stored for this course, hole & date or default to 2 if no entry found
Note, Free format Text to record any action to improve performance on the hole should display information previously entered and stored for this course, hole & date hole or default to blank if no entry found

The purpose of recording the above is to ascertain improvement areas by reports

Report 1
Total Number of Puts for a round

Report 2
Count of three puts or more for a round

Report 3
Percentage Fairway Hit for a round calculated by (count Y / (count Y + Count N)) Note N/A are excluded from calculation.

Report 4
Percentage Greens in regulation for a round calculated by (count Y / (count Y + Count N))

Report 5
Average number of shots by hole type (Par 3, Par 4, Par5)

The ability to produce above reports for a given month which will include a number of rounds for a single course.

As a novice the above seems a daunting proposition. If you feel I have taken liberties in stating the above specification please provide whatever assistance you feel appropriate and give direction in order that I may clone and modify aspects your deliverable to progress towards the above wishlist.

Please feel free to change the above wishlist if something does not make any sense or you feel that there is a better alternative.

Many Thanks in anticipation.
Shiv.

OBP
09-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Shiv, excellent Specification.
Do you have a list of Golf Courses?

shiv jalli
09-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi again,

I will be using this facility predominately for two courses see details below. However the ability to add/edit course details is important.

Hurricane Course
Yds, Par
316, 4
164, 3
345, 4
168, 3
522, 5
386, 4
156, 3
383, 4
445, 4
515, 5