PDA

View Full Version : Document Protection and ShadeEditableRanges (Show Regions I can Edit)

fionabolt
09-21-2007, 07:24 AM
With a document that has been password protected so that users can only edit a limited number of styles, it is possible to show the editable areas:

ActiveWindow.View.ShadeEditableRanges = True

So that they show up with a pale yellow background.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to print so that this yellow background prints too? :anyone:

Thanks
F

OTWarrior
09-21-2007, 07:32 AM
I just tried that code and it tells me that the method is not found, is it a custom function? or does it require special references?

Couldn't you use the highlighter function to highlight the boxes when you print them, and to turn them back after?

fionabolt
09-21-2007, 07:49 AM
You would have to have a document, with styles, in which you had set up the document protection limited to only some of those styles.

OTWarrior
09-21-2007, 08:22 AM
I don't really follow what you mean, as the only options I can see are "tracked changes", "Comments" and "forms" when you protect the document.

The styles option is greyed out when it is protected on my system, what version of word are you running?

Any chance of an attachment with an example, so I can see what it looks like?

TonyJollans
09-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Fiona - No, sorry, and I don't know any quick workarounds.

OTWarrior - what release of Word are you using. I think it's a 2003 feature.

OTWarrior
09-24-2007, 01:28 AM
I am using word 2002, that may be why :(

fionabolt
09-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Frustrating! I have a user who is using a template that produces a protected document with editable areas. When they print the document the yellow shaded areas also print. When they create a PDF the yellow shaded areas also show up in the PDF. I want to be able to prevent this, but I cannot find the option that switches it off/on. (To complicate matters this user is not in the same country!). Any one out there used protected documents via the stlyes feature in Word 2003 who can help.....

TonyJollans
09-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm lost now. Are you saying the yellow shading doesn't print and you want it to, or it does (I didn't think it could) and you don't want it?

fionabolt
09-24-2007, 11:21 AM
For most users the yellow shading does not print. For some users the yellow shading does print. We don't want it to print, but I cannot find the option that causes it to print for some users and not for others :wot

TonyJollans
09-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm almost certain there is no Word Option for this. Do the users have any code in addins or global templates which might do something?

fionabolt
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
All addins and globals are controlled on login, so this should be impossible. I'm not on location again until 1st October, will keep you posted if I discover the cause.....