PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Custom Menus not visible???

TrippyTom
09-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm experiencing some very strange behaviour with some Add-ins I wrote to make a custom menu (2 different add-ins). They work fine on my PC, but on some of my coworkers' machines, it's installling the add-in fine, but the menu is not visible.

I can only think some other add-in is not allowing custom menus to be visible. I was thinking perhaps other add-ins are conflicting with my add-in. Has anyone experienced this before?

John Wilson
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
What code did you use. I had a problem with code that placed the custom menu next to "help" (The customer had a French version - menu wasn't called "help") It's also possible to get name conflicts with other add ins if your toolbar names are something common.

TrippyTom
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
The code in my add-in looks for the Window menu and puts a custom menu to the left of it. My code works, except on a few machines. All machines should have the Window menu though, so I can't figure out why it works on some machines and not others.

John Wilson
09-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Are you searching for "windows" by name? If so there will defo be problems with other languages and it is possible to remove the windows toolbar or even rename it (the latter not simple but possible)

I would suggest altering the code so that it places itself eg at position 5 in the toolbar. If you don't know how to do this email me a portion of your current code and I'll tell you how to change it. Should be a very minor change

TrippyTom
09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
well i was using the controlID:

'find the Window Menu
Set cWindowMenu = CommandBars(1).FindControl(Id:=30009) 'id = Window menu

but I will try your suggestion and see if that helps. :) Thanks.

TrippyTom
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey, I think that fixed it. :)
I haven't had a chance to officially test it on the PCs it wasn't working on, but I tested it on a new machine near me and it worked.

Thanks a bunch.

TrippyTom
09-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, I was able to test it on the problem machines and it still doesn't work. It must be something another add-in is blocking, so I guess I will leave it up to IT to try to figure it out.

Thanks for trying :)