PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Which is better?

Slicemahn
09-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I have multiple users that will populate a Word template with bookmarks with a recordset from Access. Would it be better to the template as an "attachment" or have it copied and saved to each user's Template folder or would it be better to put this template in a WorkGroup folder"

Many thanks for thoughts and suggestions.

fumei
09-30-2007, 05:50 AM
What do you mean by template as an "attachment"?

shasur
10-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Do you mean all the users will be updating a single word document?

or

Multiple users updated the Access and then a program updates the Word document

Slicemahn
10-05-2007, 02:30 PM
It is a single Word document (ie. template) that contains all the fields that exist in the database. What I would like to do is populate the contents of the Word document with fields from the database. Since you couldn't really share a Word document and there will be 100+ users of this database then it would be better that I also send each user a copy of the Word document so that they can place it in an universal folder. Alternatively I could store the Word document as template like Elegant Resume, Contemporary Resume etc., but I not certain if that is a better way to go.

fumei
10-08-2007, 12:54 AM
I read that twice and did not understand what you are saying.

A single document (template) containing the fields. Ummm. OK, Which is it? A document, or a template?

Populate it with fields from the database. OK, that seems normal.

Send each user a copy. Hmmmm, well maybe. Seems excessive, but I don't know your circumstances.

Th elast sentence has me flummoxed. Store the document as a template like Elegant resume????

What exactly do you WANT to happen?

OTWarrior
10-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I think the question is what is the best way to have a document stored (or to have a template stored) in such as way that many users could open it at the same time without it becoming read only.

I know in excel there is a "share workbook" option, is there a similar one in word (although to be honest I don't think I have seen such a feature).

Personally, I would give it to each person, as you said, as that would also avoid them overwriting your original copy.

fumei
10-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Templates should always be read-only to users. The only one who should ever be able to actually open/change a template file is the developer. Template files should NEVER be able to be overwritten by users. That negates one of the purposes of having templates.