PDA

View Full Version : Global template doesn't work for some users

ragingradish
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Word 2003, WinXP SP2

This is odd. I've created a toolbar to add some specific functionality to Word - it's essentially as posted by the user named lucas in /forum/showthread.php?t=9517 but modified to address our specific needs.

The toolbar itself works fine. The issue is that it does not work at all for some users (ie: the toolbar does not appear). The .dot is saved at c:\documents and settings\user\appdata\ms\word\startup. I look under Tools | Templates and Add-Ins and yes, it shows up as a global template and it's checked off.

The issue appears to be related to the user profile - if the profile is new (Office not having been used on that machine by that user), the toolbar appears. If it's a pre-existing profile (same machine, but user 2 has been using it for a year), the toolbar does not appear. :banghead:

What am I overlooking? I hate to resort to deleting profiles just to get this working properly.

By the way, I've done the same thing in Excel to mirror the functionality there and the toolbar loads under all circumstances.

lucas
10-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Just a guess, try opening it under a userprofile that doesn't work and run excel and check the location of the startup directory.

ragingradish
10-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks, tried that but no luck.