PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Using Offset w/ rng variable

YellowLabPro
10-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Possible to refer to a object variable like this?
No savings here in this case.... but curious if possible, and how to write it if it is and I have it incorrect.

Set rng = ActiveSheet.Range("R4:R" & lrow)

Set rng2 = ActiveSheet.Offset(rng(1, 0))

Charlize
10-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Not sure if I get it but I would use set rng2 = rng.offset(1,0)to add a row to the previous range. Or even better the resize parameter (now that I think of it)set rng2 = rng.resize(1,0)But I'm not sure which one. I'd go for the resize option.

YellowLabPro
10-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Good Day Charliez,
Thanks-
Basically I am just wanting to use the first range as an index and setup an offset based on that.
I have commented the rng2 of the hardcoded values to show what I want the offset to use. The rng2 w/ the offset is not a valid instruction the way it is written.

Sub MissingDeptCat()
Dim c As Range, rng As Range, rng2 As Range
Dim lrow As Long
lrow = Cells(Rows.Count, 5).End(xlUp).Row
Set rng = ActiveSheet.Range("R4:R" & lrow)
'Set rng2 = ActiveSheet.Range("S4:S" & lrow)
Set rng2 = ActiveSheet.rng.Offset(1, 0)
For Each c In rng
If IsEmpty(c.Value) Then
c.Interior.Color = vbRed
c.Value = "Need Dept/Cat"
End If
Next c
For Each c In rng2
If IsEmpty(c.Value) Then
c.Interior.Color = vbYellow
c.Value = "Need Cat"
End If
Next c
For Each c In rng
If (c.Value) = "Need Dept/Cat" Then
MsgBox "Dept/Cat Missing"
End If
Exit Sub
Next c
End Sub

Charlize
10-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Just noticed that you want to use an offset column. Use thisSet rng2 = rng.Offset(, 1)This will use the same number of rows in rng but with the values of the column next to it.

tpoynton
10-08-2007, 05:51 AM
as another way of thinking about this, can you use range(cells(...)) as the format for specifying ranges (instead of letters)? I rarely find a need for using offset with columns, as I habitually specify ranges with numbers. then, you simply add your desired 'offset' to the column number...

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, just food for thought.

YellowLabPro
10-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks Charliez,
That did the trick. The offset(1,0) is the problem w/ dyslexia I have.

The interesting thing was that the reference to the ActiveSheet was the problem.
I guess that is saying ActiveSheet.ActiveSheet.rng and that is why I was getting the error Object does not support this property or method.

YellowLabPro
10-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi Tim,
That is funny that you don't have a need for columns as much as rows, as mine is just the opposite. It is like most things I suppose, that most of us learn from what our surroundings and enviroment offer. That is a major reason I keep looking for new ways to do things I have learned, to keep options open for new things that will arise.

Cheers,