PDA

View Full Version : Help programing an Excel Document

speedyg
10-10-2007, 04:03 AM
First of all understand i am pasting the word file i made for this because i have just spent the last 3 hours on the phone with Charter trying to open my web page to paste the Jpeg file that is 650kb to which still has not happened yet but cannot post to the forum cause it only allows 100Kb jpeg to upload. so i am hoping my explanation is a good enuf description to get some ideas from you all. thanks in advance and get some popcorn its a long read.

:banghead:This is a Big One to let you know, I have done the best to break this down into Lamens terms to not make this a Stephen King Novel. :banghead:

First i want to say thank you for your advice and guidence. I am a newbie to post but not a newbie to programing. I created a .JPG file for you to see what and where i am going and am after to help you understand.

First look at the left of the JPG A, B, C, I did this to thro out the options of what i am after. kind of like windows heirarchy, what i didn't know is do i create like a .5A as the full page master and start placing in the A,B,C? Sounds stupid i know and you will probably tell me no need to worry and can use a simple Link to make this happen.

Another thing this shows as being a 1 page thing, it doesnt matter what size it is. there are other added fields i want to add so dont worry about making it fit on on 8.5 X 11

Now that was the simple part. Sit back and get ready for the complex part.

I have read too much my head hurts, so many pages telling me can do it, not enough with actual tutorials on how to do them. plus they added some of these ideas in my head which has helped to create this chaotic check off list i am after. Please ber with me.

Area 1 + 2 -- want to make these (either check box or Radio button), need someone to tell me the best way; want (i understand mouse click fills it), for example think "Z", curser when it gets to point of check boxes has no other purpose in life other then to sit on check box. i press "Z" caps or not, and checkbox/radio fills. probably need the script to make sure all check boxes are UN-filled on open. after pressing Z, cursor goes to next line(or Row in that Column)
Part 2 of this is relook at the A,B,C of the jpeg. Think the cursor is sitting inside of ((C-Feet / inside of B-Stand / in A-Inspect)in A,B,C.jpeg) and the ONKEY "Q" (example) is pressed then boom all check boxes under %Stand%(only) auto filled. This is where i am lost on being able to create the Heirarchy in Excel or is it best i use Word instead?

Area 6 -- A Save Button that looks and asks the IF, Then question. If all checkboxes are checked then move along, if not goto here. says hey feet under stand inside Inspect is not checked. Pop up message says section particular is not checked off, Is it requested on the order? (Yes) = sends back to before save button pressed and check off boxes. (NO) = change color of check off box to red or something or make special Note in Notes(area5) saying Items Not on order. Cancel = duh

Ok here is where my reading sites started giving me ideas, after that substring is checked and good, Save is about to begin. cannot save on the original cause it is protected. but save looks at section 4 and then uses the Date input that is set to Auto Fill(after book is saved, auto fill of date is not applicable) so it is (2007_10_10)_(123456(which equals Order#)) and then saves. No Time is involved just date. Of course a Default folder to save in and stuff already set
Next to add more hell, Section 3

Since the computer can already read the RF Scanner of barcodes, can I create Excel to read what the scanner reads.
next to Head Asset i plan to add what this is area. basicall reading
Asset#123456 Description=SuperTrooper LT . Associate with a library of Asset and when 123456 is typed or scanned in Description is auto filled. Next is possible its just creating it.

from the cell of the asset id creating over in word a service history for that number. down in a cell created for notes of things done to fixture. excel looks for 123456 entry file in word database for all of these. sees 123456 and opens (whether its folder to save new .doc or .txt, or opens .txt and puts in a "***" break line and inserts date. then copies from AREA5 into that area and puts "****" behind it

Told you it was getting deep.

Is a Long Read I Know and i am sorry. But It at Least has gotten your mind thinking. Lord knows mine has cramped out trying to figure out the best direction to go.

thanks

speedy

speedyg
10-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess this was too complicated for anyone to answer. I wish i could get this jpeg down in size enuf so you can see what i am after. someone tell me how to make a thumbnail so i can put it up.

JimmyTheHand
10-10-2007, 10:23 PM
You can try to save the JPG image in GIF format, which may or may not help.

2nd possibility is to reduce JPG quality. In Photo Editor (part of MS Office up to version 2002) select Save As in the menu, then Advanced button, and set the JPEG quality to lower (results in smaller file size). Unfortunately, Photo Editor is discontinued, so Office 2003 does not have it, and in Picture Manger I have not found the equivalent tool. You may find it, or you may have to use a 3rd party image editor software. There are plenty out there.

3rd possibility is to upload the JPEG image to a public server, and post the link here.
There are several services of this kind, too. I have not tested it, but here is one:
http://www.filecrunch.com/

speedyg
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
to reply, i know my original post was long. and was frustrating not to be able to post the pic. i was hoping that my description would have been good enuf to get an idea of what i was after. unfortunately right now i am on the road right now and am so busy to get this photo thing taken care of. i will check out your site to post a link but if you have any ideas i would appreciate it.

speedy:thumb

speedyg
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I have returned to a post i made a few months ago now that i have time to tackle it again. and i took the advice of Jimmy and found a place i could upload the image of what i was trying to explain. if someone can guide me to the best way or program to create what my head is seeing and doing the best to explain. i went into as much detail as i could in my 1st post of this message and you will understand looking at the jpg. thanks for your replies.

speedy
:bug::banghead:

speedyg
02-04-2008, 04:50 PM
i have to post one more reply before i can put a link in

speedyg
02-04-2008, 04:51 PM
here is the link to what i was asking about in my 1st post of this thread

thanks

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/4/1740434/example4excel_build.jpg

speedy
:banghead:

gwkenny
02-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I took at your original post and the jpeg.

Sorry, I'm still thoroughly confused.

Can you breakdown this down into very small steps? Small steps can then be tackled easily.

speedyg
02-09-2008, 09:01 PM
let me know if his help any. it is compulated but so damn simple for brain to get aromd it. ledts only look at_(A) lokd at things like power conector connected prorperly. maybe even have a quick lint check of all that isn in (A) su blet(3) and checks all the boxes as well go i hope it can make for sence too you now:banghead:

speedyg
02-10-2008, 09:10 AM
as to what i am trying to do? print out my first post and you will understand what the jpg means

:help

gwkenny
02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I guess I'll reiterate myself (sigh):

I took at your original post and the jpeg (and your subsequent posts).

Sorry, I'm still thoroughly confused.

Can you breakdown this down into very small steps? Small steps can then be tackled easily.

KEY: SMALL STEPS. Adequate English to accurately define the problem. I KNOW you understand what needs to be done, but you need to accurately describe it to others if you need assistance (especially FREE assistance). We are not mind readers.

Here are a FEW places where I have lots of confusion:

[quote=speedyg]kind of like windows heirarchy, what i didn't know is do i create like a .5A as the full page master and start placing in the A,B,C? Sounds stupid i know and you will probably tell me no need to worry and can use a simple Link to make this happen.

What do you mean by "kind of like windows hierarchy"? Are you creating Userforms or using Sheets to be your 'forms'?

What does it mean by "create like a .5A as the full page master"? Is .5A the full page master and you are linking A, B, and C to this? If so, how will they be linked? What manner specifically (logic wise)?

If that was the simple part, I'm really dreading the complicated part cause I have NO IDEA what you mean in the simple part! I can go ahead and deconstruct your description of the "complicated part" and show you where my confusion lies but what's the point?

Instead of giving us half hazard jpegs of things you want in mixed up order... Can you find the time to mockup what you want your screen to look like as a final product? That would be incredibly helpful. And please TELL us what form you want the final product to take? Are these Userforms? Are these Worksheets?

I just can't stress how important it is to BREAK THINGS DOWN into extremely small tasks. This is essential for any project manager of any project. This allows for no misunderstandings and smooth workflow. This applies to your project and assistance.

speedyg
02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
the reason why i was wondering if i should use .5A is A is the same as B and C put together. the jpg is 3 copies of the same image. i am attaching an excel document that has alot of what i will want to have as a check off sheet.

gwkenny
02-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Sorry speedyg.

I'm stupid and slow. I still do not understand.

KEY: SMALL STEPS. Adequate English to accurately define the problem. I KNOW you understand what needs to be done, but you need to accurately describe it to others if you need assistance (especially FREE assistance). We are not mind readers.

What do you mean by "kind of like windows hierarchy"? Are you creating Userforms or using Sheets to be your 'forms'?

Is the mockup you supplied suppose to be in a Userform? If it is supposed to stay in spreadsheet form, what do you want to link it to and how?

Data validation?

Sorry, I'm not speedy. Just call me stupid :)

speedyg
02-14-2008, 03:55 AM
look at the excel document i attatched. think of under every BOLD being a category. and basically in a column next to it being a radio button basically its purpose is to check saying OK i looked at this item. now there will be a few places where i will have a second column that is saying OK to no this is not on the order. cause i dont want a yes column and a no column for everything.

next thing is when it is saved this excel document is protected from ever being written over. or to make things better when save is clicked it automatically goes to a folder on the inTRanet looks at month and checks to see if there is a folder for the month, then takes the order number and saves document as that.

my main thing is establishing those radio buttons or check off boxes first then move to the next step of saving.

and everytime this is opened it is the pre defined sheet with nothing checked off

speedy

gwkenny
02-14-2008, 04:31 AM
speedyg,

I'm stupid and slow.

I don't know how else to phrase this, so I AM GOING TO REITERATE THE FOLLOWING FOR THE THIRD OR FOURTH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A) CAN YOU BREAK THIS DOWN INTO VERY SMALL STEPS? SMALL STEPS CAN THEN BE TACKLED EASILY.

B) ADEQUATE ENGLISH TO ACCURATELY DEFINE THE PROBLEM. I KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE, BUT YOU NEED TO ACCURATELY DESCRIBE IT TO OTHERS IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE!!!!.

Key note here: WE ARE NOT MIND READERS

C) You never answered my question, 'WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "KIND OF LIKE WINDOWS HIERARCH" ARE YOU CREATING USERFORMS OR USING SHEETS TO BE YOUR 'FORMS'?

Radio buttons are called OPTION BUTTONS in Visual Basic, thus there are no radio buttons in Excel.

I believe I know what you want, a template that is just a checklist for a job/order. Everytime you open this file, a brand new file get's created and the User can go through the form and make sure all the steps are taken.

But you have NEVER answered my original question of whether this is Userform based or Sheet based. Do you care? You keep barreling on to other subjects like looking at folders on some intranet, etc...

This is like biking a Century (100 miles) but not having put the wheels on the bicycle!!!!!

If you do not understand the terminology I am using (Userform or Sheet based interface) then say so!!! There is no shame in ignorance. Everyone started out knowing nothing! But I can not read your mind. The ONLY way I have of communicating with you are WORDS.

If we cannot define the medium for this 'form', then what's the use of discussing what's on it? Or where it's going to go?

I have tried to communicate with you and it has been a total failure. I know that a failure in communication is usually the fault of both parties, but quite frankly, I just don't have enough time to educate you on communication, Excel, and then to learn what you need done. Speedyg, if you just SLOWED down a little bit, concentrated on the task at hand, you'd get a LOT MORE DONE in MUCH LESS TIME.

speedyg
02-14-2008, 10:24 AM
i want that sheet every time. and its not to hard to understand the BOLD letters as being a category on that sheet. dont think it is hard to understand i want a check off box next to each line within the category(BOLD)topic. and when the sheet is saved it is saved with the order# at the top of the page. would be nice if i can press save and it AUTO goes to the folder on the server and opens the months folder and saves it as the order number. i dont know how much more simple i can explain it.

Bold text = category
each line needs check box or radio button
save as ordernumber.

gwkenny
02-16-2008, 03:29 AM
You keep barrelling right over my main question. So I will reiterate yet again!

You never answered my question, 'WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY "KIND OF LIKE WINDOWS HIERARCH" ARE YOU CREATING USERFORMS OR USING SHEETS TO BE YOUR 'FORMS'? Do you care? You keep barreling on to other subjects like looking at folders on some intranet, etc...

To me, it is obvious that you do not know the definition of USERFORM (which is like any dialog box in Excel). That's the only rational explanation I can come up with that explains WHY you never answered the question.

You just need "it" done. Now it has taken us this long to determine you do not know what a Userform is. Now I could explain it and we could discuss the merits of a worksheet based interface and a Userform based interface. Unfortunately my allotment of free time is used up.

Maybe someone else can pick up this thread or you can try somewhere else (but I suggest you ANSWER the questions put forth to you, rather than IGNORE them and just keep barrelling on).

Good luck to you!

speedyg
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
why dont you just reply with your answer. i dont think it is too hard to put in a radio button and keep everything on ONE freakin page. no i dont know your userform. plus i was given this site by someone from a help site. and all i am finding is someone who critisizes. either help out or move on

gwkenny
02-26-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't know why I continue... Maybe I'm just a nice guy, but you really need to learn how to communicate accurately if you want assistance. Espcially free assistance.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. But please think about the other person's perspective.

I asked the same question 5 times. Starting from my first substantive post. You did not answer my question. You ignored my question.

My question deals with what method of 'interface' the 'form' will take. If we cannot define how the User is going to interface with the computer, what is the use of talking about what you are going to ask the User?

This is what I mean by communication.

Let's say we were in a business meeting. You own a supermarket and I'm a sales person. You ask me, "What product are you selling?" I ignore you, but say, "My product tastes great. It's cheap, it's tasty, it's got a long shelf life, etc..." You ask me 5 times, "What product are you selling?" and I ignore your question and keep on going. WHAT are you going to think of me? Are you NOT going to criticize me?

why dont you just reply with your answer.

I find this amazing :) Why don't I supply you with an answer? Cause you never answered my question that I asked 5 times. I had to deduce the answer on my own. If you do not communicate with me, HOW can I communicate with you?

either help out or move on

I DID try to help. I spent a lot of time trying to get you to DEFINE your needs so someone CAN help. I'm sorry you can not see that.

plus i was given this site by someone from a help site. and all i am finding is someone who critisizes.

I am not the only one here. In fact, I'm VERY new per se. Can you ask yourself why the 'old hands' haven't jumped in here? Maybe it's the failure to communicate? Defining your needs accurately so assistance can be given.

I stand on the basis of my words (cause that's all we have here). If you feel that I have unjustly offended you, then please by all means bring this attention to the moderators.

I have spent a lot of time trying to determine what you need and trying to communicate with you. While I believe I understand what you need now (though I'm still hazy on some of the hierarchy of your OPTION buttons), quite frankly I'm too tired to help.

speedyg
02-26-2008, 10:03 AM
you think you have tried to help:rotlaugh:. i dont understand where you think you have tried to. i am not too sure where you think you have tried. i even broke it down more simple with my excel document. i dont know where puting in radio buttons down a column. and when a column and row radio button is clicked on it is filled. when save is pressed it saves to a specific folder with the order number as the title. i'm not even going to go into the if then else i explained before cause i dont think you even know that command.

mdmackillop
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Speedyg,
Please see here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_posthelp_faq_item) regarding free help. Your post contains no VBA and it appears you are looking for assistance in designing a complex project. This is not the purpose of this forum. You can try here (http://www.vbaexpress.com/consulting/) or look for some other sites where your design can be carried out for a fee.
Regards
MD

tstav
02-26-2008, 11:59 AM
:hi: gwkenny, :hi:
I will be very short in this really long long thread.

I just went through the whole thing right from the start. You have really amazed me with your patience and persistence on your effort to help.
Keep up the good work (and keep your spirit high!).
Greetings from the other side of the globe!

speedyg
03-11-2008, 03:42 PM
then i guess A.B.C is not the alphebet anymore, or 1,2,3 is not how to count numbers anylonger. I knew i should have learned my metric system. it was simple if A1 equals A2 then this if not then that. even broke down it on the visual so bite me cause you never gave the kind of help i expected. Hierarchy Alphabet, Numbers sounded pretty simple to me guess your just too geeky of a mind to break it down that simple. you need to go watch the wizard of oz again, both of you were the character that said "IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN", guess witch one that was

lucas
03-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Hierarchy Alphabet, Numbers sounded pretty simple to me guess your just too geeky of a mind to break it down that simple. you need to go watch the wizard of oz again, both of you were the character that said "IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN", guess witch one that was
Personal attacks will get you banned from the site. If you are not satisfied with the help you are getting you are free to move on.

Aussiebear
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
:banghead:This is a Big One to let you know, I have done the best to break this down into Lamens terms to not make this a Stephen King Novel. :banghead:

Since this is more than a Stephen King novel, it would be in your best interest if you were to go back and rewrite your draft. It is at best, poorly constructed, both with grammar and spelling, and more importantly it is not logical in structure.

I am a newbie to post but not a newbie to programing.

What programming language are you experienced with?

First look at the left of the JPG A, B, C, I did this to thro out the options of what i am after. kind of like windows heirarchy, what i didn't know is do i create like a .5A as the full page master and start placing in the A,B,C?
From what you are asking here, I can only assume you are wanting a Tree View Control type layout for the left side of the worksheet. Is this correct?

Combined with this you would like a checkbox type function to be applied against every sub option contained under each catergory? Is this correct?

Another thing this shows as being a 1 page thing, it doesnt matter what size it is. there are other added fields i want to add so dont worry about making it fit on on 8.5 X 11

Can you describe in layman's terms how "big" you are thinking of?

I have read too much my head hurts, so many pages telling me can do it, not enough with actual tutorials on how to do them. plus they added some of these ideas in my head which has helped to create this chaotic check off list i am after. Please ber with me.

This above statement suggests to me, ( and I'm sure to all the others for use this forum), that you are still unclear just what it is that you are wanting. I have no doubt that you think that you can see what it is that you want. There is a significant difference between a concept and Structure. Take the time to write it down on a piece of paper, then go through it again until you have each of the procedures clearly detailed. You will undoubtly notice that what you thought was "clear" was actually a mish mash of concepts. It has been previously suggested to you by gwkenny that you need to break it down into simple steps. I endorse his remark wholeheartedly.

Area 1 + 2 -- want to make these (either check box or Radio button), need someone to tell me the best way; want (i understand mouse click fills it), for example think "Z", curser when it gets to point of check boxes has no other purpose in life other then to sit on check box. i press "Z" caps or not, and checkbox/radio fills. probably need the script to make sure all check boxes are UN-filled on open. after pressing Z, cursor goes to next line(or Row in that Column)
Part 2 of this is relook at the A,B,C of the jpeg. Think the cursor is sitting inside of ((C-Feet / inside of B-Stand / in A-Inspect)in A,B,C.jpeg) and the ONKEY "Q" (example) is pressed then boom all check boxes under %Stand%(only) auto filled. This is where i am lost on being able to create the Heirarchy in Excel or is it best i use Word instead?

When I first read this.... it turned me off the topic.

Area 6 -- A Save Button that looks and asks the IF, Then question. If all checkboxes are checked then move along, if not goto here. says hey feet under stand inside Inspect is not checked. Pop up message says section particular is not checked off,

I take it that you are seeking to establish whether all of the checkboxes are completed or not and that the "Save" button will check this? If any of the checkboxes are not complete, then you want a popup box to indicate which are not completed, and it will loop through until they are all completed?

Is it requested on the order? (Yes) = sends back to before save button pressed and check off boxes. (NO) = change color of check off box to red or something or make special Note in Notes(area5) saying Items Not on order. Cancel = duh
How does the code know what was on the order? What does it check this against? By the way, the Cancel function is boolean. It is either Yes or NO, not "duh".

Ok here is where my reading sites started giving me ideas, after that substring is checked and good, Save is about to begin. cannot save on the original cause it is protected. but save looks at section 4 and then uses the Date input that is set to Auto Fill(after book is saved, auto fill of date is not applicable) so it is (2007_10_10)_(123456(which equals Order#)) and then saves. No Time is involved just date. Of course a Default folder to save in and stuff already set

You are seeking, I take it, to use a "Save As" and not a "Save" functon. With a predetermined path (Directory and File of the user's choosing) but with the following parameters. Date as at time of Saving, Date then cannot be changed, File name is in the format "yyyy/mm/dd_Order#. Is this correct?

Next to add more hell, Section 3
Since the computer can already read the RF Scanner of barcodes, can I create Excel to read what the scanner reads.

It is possible depending on the data type to read scanner data.

next to Head Asset i plan to add what this is area. basicall reading
Asset#123456 Description=SuperTrooper LT . Associate with a library of Asset and when 123456 is typed or scanned in Description is auto filled. Next is possible its just creating it.

from the cell of the asset id creating over in word a service history for that number. down in a cell created for notes of things done to fixture. excel looks for 123456 entry file in word database for all of these. sees 123456 and opens (whether its folder to save new .doc or .txt, or opens .txt and puts in a "***" break line and inserts date. then copies from AREA5 into that area and puts "****" behind it

Why don't you create an example of this, so that we can see what you are trying to describe? It seems to me that if you are going to read a word file detailing a service history, you might be better off constructing this project of yours in Access. After all this will become a database.

Is a Long Read I Know and i am sorry. But It at Least has gotten your mind thinking. Lord knows mine has cramped out trying to figure out the best direction to go.

I think your last sentence succinctly describes what is the basic issue here. This is a major project, that requires far greater detail than that which you have offered to date. Getting angry with those trying to assist you, as evidenced in your posts, does nothing to encourage others to offer assistance.

coliervile
03-11-2008, 06:48 PM
“SPEEDYG” since your new to this site I'll give you my advice with regards to VBA Express. I truly appreciate all of the effort and time that the ladies and gentlemen on this site have to offer. Some of these folks on here put a lot of their own time and effort in helping us. I don't know if anyone on here gets paid and I really don't care one way or the other. The fact is that these fine people help us to learn and assist us in completing something that we're unable to do or solve by ourselves. As Mr. mdmackillop stated the complex projects aren’t free they are very time consuming and those who choose to take on such a project deserve to be paid for their efforts. The attack that you threw out was unnecessary in my opinion and the site have specific rules and for very good reasons all they ask in return is play by the rules. Okay I got long winded…sorry

TO ALL OF YOU THAT HELP US LESS KNOWLEDGABLE… THANK YOU!!!

MY HATS OFF TO ALL OF YOU :friends: :beerchug:

lucas
03-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Very nice speech Charlie. I'm sure the folks who help here love to hear that kind of feedback.

For the record......no one here gets paid....it is all volunteer. Many of the most skilled volunteers don't even have an official title. They are just very friendly and generous.