PDA

View Full Version : Solved: How To Find Text In Excel 2007 Binary Saved Workbooks...

Wolfgang
10-22-2007, 02:56 AM
Good Morning All,

is it possible to look for a particular text entry in a closed binary saved Excel 2007 workbook?!

I have a tool which finds entries within a macro but not within a worksheet.

Thank you

Best,
Wolfgang

TonyJollans
10-22-2007, 04:10 AM
Not sure what you mean by binary 2007 format. 2007 format xlsx (and other) files are zipped folders. If you unzip them they are xml files in text (apart from the VBA project which is still in structured storage binary format).

If your process which works on a 'closed' file has the capacity to unzip and navigate the resulting file structure then the answer to your question is probably yes; if not, then it is definitely no.

Wolfgang
10-22-2007, 04:26 AM
Hi Tony,

thank you for your answer...

By "Binary Saved" I mean the option to save a workbook as XLSB.

The tool is able to find text information within the VBA-part of an Excel workbook, no matter which format I saved it with.

I was thinking about a tool which can read data within worksheets.

Most probably there is none.

Best,
Wolfgang

TonyJollans
10-22-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm not an Excel person and didn't know of such a beast, but I have just had a look. The format is still zipped and when unzipped has several binary components as well as some xml ones. I don't know how the binary elements may compare to earlier BIFF formats (if at all) but the answer to your question, I think, remains yes, if you can unzip, no if you can't.

Wolfgang
10-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Thank you very much, Tony...

Best,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang
10-23-2007, 03:44 AM
Hi Tony,

just to let you know, if I use Windows XP's Search Tool and specify my criteria it will show all Excel files having said criteria...

Best,
Wolfgang

TonyJollans
10-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Clever old XP Search :)

Worth knowing. Thanks.