PDA

View Full Version : Excel and Outlook Global Address List

wildpianist
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Hello

I have a userform and in one box I need to type in a user name

Now with outlook on our system here, in the To: Field if you type in the user name and click check names it will bring up the user's full name

In my Txtbox is there a way as soon as I type in the username it automatically checks the global address book and will automatically prefill what i've put in with the users full name?

I seem to be asking a lot of questions tonight lol but have still to find a limitation to what I can do with VBA lol

Zack Barresse
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi there,

Not really. If you could (I'm sure there is a way) it would probably be gawd awful slow and very inefficient. The list you're referring to isn't even a Contact list, it is only a list of recently used items typed in that field. And each Outlook form has it's own unique list for each unique field. In other words, you can have a lot of these lists with very different items in each. I've often heard people calling these lists 'my contact list', which it is most definitely not. I had one guy tell me he had all of his contacts at his fingertips and never - never - used the actual Contacts list in Outlook. Well, he had to reinstall in lieu of issues, then asked, "where are all my contacts?!" Just ludacris.

You could however pre-populate a drop down with these contacts. Take a look here (http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=222) to see an example of accessing the GAL in Outlook.

HTH

wildpianist
10-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Hmmmmm seem to get some Syntax errors with some code in 'Array'

Have checked and my system is running XL 2003

By the way My GAL (at the office) contains a good couple of THOUSAND contacts - If I was to be successful at some point to getting this working will this crash the Mail Server or will Office just simply hang?

I'm anticipating it would take about an hour to populate the info, maybe more lol

Zack Barresse
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
For me, this gets all of my GAL into a new worksheet...

Sub GetGAL()
Dim wb As Workbook, ws As Worksheet
Dim blnCreated As Boolean, iCnt As Long
Dim objApp As Object, objSession As Object, oFolder As Object
Set objApp = GetObject(, "Outlook.Application")
blnCreated = False
If objApp Is Nothing Then
Set objApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
blnCreated = True
End If
Set objSession = objApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
objSession.Logon
objSession.Logon , , False, False ' Profile, Password, ShowDialog, NewSession
Set oFolder = objSession.AddressLists("Global Address List")
On Error Resume Next
'Some fields may not exist
'Turn off screen updating
Call ToggleEvents(False)
Set wb = Workbooks.Add(xlWorksheet)
Set ws = wb.Sheets(1)
For iCnt = 1 To oFolder.AddressEntries.Count
ws.Cells(iCnt + 1, 1).Value = oFolder.AddressEntries(iCnt)
Next iCnt
ws.Cells(1, 1).Value = "GAL Entries"
ws.Cells(1, 1).Font.Bold = True
ws.Columns(1).EntireColumn.AutoFit
Call ToggleEvents(True)
If blnCreated = True Then objApp.Quit
End Sub

Sub ToggleEvents(blnState As Boolean)
'Originally written by firefytr
With Application
.DisplayAlerts = blnState
.EnableEvents = blnState
.ScreenUpdating = blnState
If blnState Then .CutCopyMode = False
If blnState Then .StatusBar = False
End With
End Sub

Is that what you're looking for? If so, put that in your initialize event and instead of writing to a workbook, write to your combobox.

HTH