PDA

View Full Version : Hi to everyone

sandy6078
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
I just wanted to introduce myself. I recently started working at the same company as my older sister. Right now, she is my main boss. But, when asked to leave my former place of employment I jumped at the job.

I created small databases working in the quality department at my previous place of employment with not much code and very simple application.

My current place of employment uses excel and did not have Access installed until I started. I have been asked to design databases for the company until the new engineering design builiding is open even though I explained I was not a programmer and might not be able to. I also do not have any help from the IT group here because they do not want to support Access and feel I am stepping on there toes.

I do however like the hours, I went from working 10 - 12 hours a day with maybe a 1/2 hour lunch to 9 with an hour lunch.

Other than that I have been married for 27 years, have 4 children ranging from 25 to almost 13 and have 3 grandchildren, 2 dogs, a cat, no more gerbils thank God, and a old money pit house.

Sandy

XLGibbs
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Welcome to the junge and we are here to help.

Database design is tricky business. Moreso in Access. There are some good books on database fundamentals you should dig into before starting anything.

Access is good for simple front ends, but you should have them look into a SQL Express or some alternative for the actual data storage.

If the company is ever going to have more than 2GB of data, it is a bad idea to use Access. WIth a SQL server, you can have 100's of database which Access can be the "front end" or user gateway for use and reporting.