PDA

View Full Version : offical excel vba tutorials?

wonderjet
11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
hi there,

ive been wandering around programming languages the past few months and have now bumped into vba! seems relatively of an easy language in comparison to others, but it seems relatively hard to find tutorials on it, and also is a bit confusing to a beginner due to all the complexities of getting to terms with vb, basic, vba, vb6, vb.net, vsta, etc etc. i think ive got that stuff mostly cleared up by scouring the net, but i am left with 2 questions:

- I had microsoft office preinstalled on my computer when it how delivered, and need the CD to install the offical help, and i never got the CD:S I have looked for these files on the net (unsucessfully)- do they exist?

- any tutorials i find on VB 6 or before - do they have the exact same code, just a different IDE?

thanks, and i hope to stick around with vba, as i have been using excel since forever ago and seek to customize and automate!

Bob Phillips
11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

wonderjet
11-03-2007, 07:13 PM
thanks, this is a nice resource, but what i am officially looking for is that help file in vba excel so i can press F1 and have the help come up -- unless i am missing something and that file is downloadable on that page?

Aussiebear
11-03-2007, 11:07 PM
'day Wonderjet,

Help is most certainly available from the VBE. You can have a choice of on line or off line.

wonderjet
11-03-2007, 11:13 PM
'day Wonderjet,

Help is most certainly available from the VBE. You can have a choice of on line or off line.

hey auseebear,

my problem is that when i am in VBA and go to help that is displayed in your picture this happens:

"This feature is currently not installed. Would you like to install it now?"

of course I say "yes!". Its says, ok, where is the CD? I say, I never had a CD, excel was shipped to me preinstalled on my computer and i never had a CD.

So my question is, can I download this file without reverting to a CD that I dont have, or does it cost $ to get this and therefore I would not be able to find it as a free download? by the way I have excel 2002

johnske
11-03-2007, 11:55 PM
2000 help (http://xlvba.3.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=333) (not that different). You don't have a friend that has a CD you can borrow to get the help file from?

johnske
11-04-2007, 12:01 AM
you could also try http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7A44B0B3-AC93-4AE2-8845-0D6DFB7E282F&displaylang=EN

wonderjet
11-04-2007, 02:22 AM
thanks johnske, ill check these 2 links out.. or maybe its time to get the new excel... is it worth the trouble or $ ????

johnske
11-04-2007, 03:24 AM
If you're going to develop seriously and want compatibility between office versions, I'd recommend you develop in a lower version such as Office 2000 :)

wonderjet
11-04-2007, 11:32 AM
If you're going to develop seriously and want compatibility between office versions, I'd recommend you develop in a lower version such as Office 2000 :) an unintutive answer(for a vbanewbie), thanks for taking the time to clarify some stuff!