PDA

View Full Version : Help files

untitled
11-06-2007, 07:38 AM
I've created a .chm help file for a template.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to embed the .chm into the template so it can be read wherever the template is regardless of its online status.

Any ideas on how to go about this.

I could host the file server-side and use a follow hyperlink to launch the .chm, but ... thats not ideal.

fumei
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I don't know how you would "embed" the .chm into the template.

I also do not know what you mean by: "so it can be read wherever the template is regardless of its online status".

Online status? A template?

I will be watching this one in case someone comes up with something. I have had nothing but grief trying to work with .chm files.

untitled
11-07-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't know how you would "embed" the .chm into the template.

I also do not know what you mean by: "so it can be read wherever the template is regardless of its online status".

Online status? A template?

I will be watching this one in case someone comes up with something. I have had nothing but grief trying to work with .chm files.

No worries, i guessed it was a long shot at the outset.
I was hoping there might be some way to launch the chm from word.

By embed, I mean, I know some applications use chm's as their help files, so I guessed they must be bundled at distribution.

The template is the one I have posted about previously (dont worry, i dont expect you to remember). for it to have full functionality, they will need to be online.

As such, providing a link will be okay. But, ideally, They would have a local copy to read when they are offline. Since, I can't trust them to download the chm, I'm not 100% sure ow to go about this.

Obviously, I will spam a load of text into a form and creat a help button, but, I like the functionality of a chm (index, contents, forward, back, etc)

thanks for your reply all the same.

TonyJollans
11-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I didn't reply here because I had no knowledge.

You can't (usefully) embed a help file into a template. All you can do, as you say, is bundle the two together in an installation package and then provide a link from the template (via a toolbar button perhaps) to the help.

Like Gerry, I'm a bit confused about needing to be online for a template to have full functionality - but if they are online and request help, could you not pop up a window saying to use help they must first install it?

fumei
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
"The template is the one I have posted about previously (dont worry, i dont expect you to remember). for it to have full functionality, they will need to be online."

Oh??? And they can partial functionality if they are off-line?

Hmmm. Interesting.