PDA

View Full Version : need all the words from dictionary

saban
11-15-2007, 06:04 AM
Is there a way to extract all words from english or german spellchecker's dictionary

OTWarrior
11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
why would you need this?

would you want to extract the normal dictionary, or the user's custom dictionary?

saban
11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
The normal one (I need all the words that are in dictionary)

fumei
11-16-2007, 08:10 AM
That sounds crazy. Why?

TonyJollans
11-16-2007, 04:48 PM
No. There is no way to do it.

Brandtrock
11-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Saban, you have artfully dodged two requests for why such an action would be needed. I will forego asking a third time. As Tony knows infinitely more about Word than I do, I gladly defer to his statement that it can't be done.

Given that it can't be done, I Googled "comprehensive word list" just to see what was out there. Some guy developed a C# program that parsed the XML of Wikipedia. He has a word list that was the result of the parsing. It is nearly 20,000 pages long if opened in Word. The file is available from a link on this page (http://www.the-interweb.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/50-Generating-a-word-list-from-Wikipedia.html) if you are so inclined.

Even if this isn't what you are looking for, it was interesting to play around with.

Regards,

saban
11-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Thnx guys for your answers

(I guess it can not be done)

I wanted to make some sort of exclude dictionary which would base on original dictionary in word just with some minor changes in characters which looks the same to the eye but are diferent in ASCI table