PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up a session timeout in Excel?

jungle
12-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I've created a spreadsheet application and want to be to send a working version of the application to a prospective buyer and let them use it for a specified period of time.
Then, after that time period, I want the application to lock and unless they pay for the application and get the unlock code, they can?t use it any longer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how best to proceed?

Thanks!

Geroge

unmarkedhelicopter
12-01-2007, 01:28 PM
You are assuming that Excel is secure and that no one can change your code.
I don't know how to break this to you but ... it isn't !
There is code that will do what you ask but shouldn't YOU be paying for it ?

jungle
12-01-2007, 01:36 PM
There is code that will do what you ask but shouldn't YOU be paying for it ?

I recognize that Excel isn't secure.

But I'm not sure how best to proceed.

This is why I asked 'can anyone point me in the right direction?'

I don't know enough to know if and what I need to be paying for.

I need to know the WHAT before paying for anything.

Bob Phillips
12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
It's very difficult AFAICS. There are products out there that use a DLL or active X controls, but I haven't been able to figure out how you secure the code that uses the DLL/ActiveX, so there is still no security.

jungle
12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
It's very difficult AFAICS. There are products out there that use a DLL or active X controls, but I haven't been able to figure out how you secure the code that uses the DLL/ActiveX, so there is still no security.

I'm not sure where that leaves me. And, you're one of the people I was going to directly ask for advice.

One thing I would like to do is convert to having the application available online. I know that might me taking out of the Excel environment.

Got any suggestions for how best to proceed?

I don't know what questions to ask or what to look for in someone who can program this for me on a project basis.

Wolfgang
12-02-2007, 04:14 AM
Hi George...

check this one out, maybe it helps?!

http://www.lockxls.com/

Best,Wolfgang