PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs)- strange behaviour when setting default directory

brettdj
01-20-2005, 08:09 PM
On another forum I was asked how to set the default directory when using Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).

Simple one, I thought, I opened a new file and tried

Dim Mystr As String
Mystr = "C:\PTL Files"
ChDrive "c:\"
ChDir Mystr
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show Mystr

and it worked fine. The OP wrote back and said it didn't work - I tried my code again and he was correct. After going through google I discovered that this code works fine for Excel 97 but not later versions. On my own accord I also confirmed that it worked fine on unsaved files

Several recent links suggest that it should work in later Excel versions, ie
Here (http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=3EA893CC.B22D7DAA%40msn.com&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26q%3DxlDialogSaveAs%2Bdefault%2Bdirectory%26btnG% 3DSearch)
Here 2 (http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=ianripping.1894vm%40excelforum-nospam.com&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DxlDialogSaveAs%2520default%2520directory%2520%26hl%3Den%26lr%3 D%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg)

Has anyone else come accross this?

Cheers

Dave

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Works fine for me in Excel 2002.

Zack Barresse
01-20-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd be curious as to where the OP actually placed the code, and ensured there was the opening and closing 'Sub/End Sub' lines. Sounds like it might be hand holding time. ;) (we all need it sometimes, eh)

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Works fine in 2003 as well. Also you shouldn't need to change the drive or directory if you are specifying an argument for the dialog.

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show "C:\PTL Files"

Steiner
01-21-2005, 12:21 AM
And it wasn't simply a missing "\" at the end of Mystr?

brettdj
01-21-2005, 01:57 AM
It doesn't work for the OP and it doesn't work for me on saved files in 2003, either at work or home ... any other takers ? :banghead:

Works fine in 2003 as well. Also you shouldn't need to change the drive or directory if you are specifying an argument for the dialog.

Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show "C:\PTL Files"My initial code was just

Dim Mystr As String
Mystr = "C:\PTL Files"
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs).Show Mystr

I added the directory codes after browsing through suggestions by other coders that if would be necessary to do this if the default path was set to another drive. So I did this in case it was the OP's problem.

Cheers

Dave

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-21-2005, 02:16 AM
That is strange. Before I tried it, but the file was not saved. :doh: It works fine on a new workbook but once it is saved it will not work. I think it just automatically goes to the folder where the file is saved.

Why don't we try a different approach. :think:

Dim FName As Variant
FName = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(InitialFileName:="C:\PTL Files")
If FName = False Then
'Cancel
Else
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=FName, FileFormat:=xlNormal
End If

brettdj
01-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Thats the way to go to workaround the issue but I'm still curious about the dialog behaviour, the threads I posted gave the impression that people got it working.

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-21-2005, 04:53 AM
I would be interested if someone got it to work. :think: I checked the arguments for the dialog and there was no Path argument. :dunno

mvidas
01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
I was not able to either in xl2000.. In another language while browsing google I came across someone who said to try:

Mystr = "C:\foldername"
With Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSaveAs)
ChDir Mystr
.Show Mystr
End With

I did notice that ChDrive Mystr works to change it to the C drive.
I also tried setting the DefaultFilePath as someone else had suggested and it didn't work either.
Consider me subscribed, this is odd

Olivier
10-31-2006, 02:44 AM
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem!

Application.dialogs(xldialogsaveas).show ("C:\dir\file.xls") doesn't work!
The name of file suggested by the dialog box is fine but not the directory.

I also tried with ChDir and ChDrive but with no success.

If you have any clue...

Olivier./.

Ken Puls
10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
That does seem pretty weird. Changing the drive via the immediate window affects the GetOpenFileName, but not the SaveAsFileName dialogs...

I'd probably work around the issue with something like:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
Dim Mystr As String
Dim var As Variant
Application.EnableEvents = False
If SaveAsUI = True Then
Mystr = "C:\test"
var = Application.GetSaveAsFilename(Mystr)
If Not var = False Then ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs var
Cancel = True
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub