PDA

View Full Version : benefits of C#

OTWarrior
12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
I have been told by one of my colleagues at work that it would be a good idea for me to learn C#, but I don't know much about it. I am reading up on the basics (I will need to go on a course to learn it I think), but my question is..

..What does C# do that VBA doesn't?

from what I have read so far, it looks like you have to be very specific regarding memory locations, but aside from that I do not know the differences (I am still learning how to program). I know that C# is faster than VBA.

To put it simply, why should I learn the language?

Bob Phillips
12-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Good question, why indeed?

At some time (but I don't think for ten years yet), we will all have to switch to dot net. AT that point you will need C#, VB.Net or something else, VBA will NOT be taken into the dot net world.

But, IMO, getting a full understanding of Excel and the OM is more important. If you are more comfortable doing that in VBA then do so. Learn C# as a side of the table exrcise, using your Excel and OM skilll honed under VBA.

XLGibbs
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Depends on what your role is. I am able to us C# to develop customized front ends,while VBA translates more simply into the VB world (naturally)....C# is very beneficial in it's close relationship to dot-Net as xld said.

SQL Server 2005 for example also has more fully integrated integration service which can combine all kinds of really neat stuff, but C# is a big part of making it work best for you.

If you can get your hands on VS 2005, it would be worthwhile to learn.

For excel work, it is not necessary.

PaSha
12-21-2007, 02:49 AM
hmmm good question...

i'm studying electrical engineering and computer science in slovenia... and
till now i had 3 exams - or clases of c and c++ ...
from 6 of them about programing skills we have 3 c++, 2 java and 1 dot net...

actually we aren't doing nothing in VB or VBA ... in the high school we were doing some stuff with the VBA but that was maybe 4hours at all..

and now i began studying this vba and i have to say it's got his potential... and a very good one... and how to say it is powerfull in his enviroment like word,excel and so on... there is no comperative with it...

but c and c++ is a pure programing language which has no connections with theese programs, unlless you specify it, but it's a little more complicated...
the syntax and the logic of c language is one of the hardest to learn :*) ... i know, i got my headaces with it, but when you learn it it's cool...

now, there is a diference between c and c++, the c is the older one, not more developing language and is more static, or bether to say c++ is the new one which has the syntax same but is more modular (module) dynamic developing... like JAVA... (but in java it is easier to learn)...

so there are many specific stuff about these languages c and c++... you're friend has right if he says take a look on it... if you learn it its good promotion... i know, althought NOW i don't need it,LOL...

so what can i say more ybout the c++ ... with it you can make pure programs... .exe files and so on... with his pointers (which are the hardest to understand) it has the ability to dynamic the program like you whish ...
and it is very good for statistical programing if you don't want to use access or some excel files to save your statistics...
and also like in Java the c++ has the ablity to write an module ... and then use it 100 times more in other programs and regenerate it and so on ...

you just nave to look some exemples of the programs and maybe you get the point...

and i give you a hint... learn it!!! it's usefull ... but it aint gonna be so easy... but don't give up... but if you need some help... just look around it everywhere... or just post it here...maybe some on us can help you...

greathings...

tmptplayer
01-05-2008, 03:33 PM
C# is much more powerful than VBA, in that C# is designed to operate with any Microsoft library and build to what is called a 'common runtime language'. C# is much cleaner looking than VBA, and it works in a completely different environment- you create windows applications but you aren't doing it through office.

If you are fairly quick in VBA, you might be better off just adapting to full up Visual Basic (VB with no A) in the .Net framework. The beauty of the common runtime language is that you can build programs in completely different languages, and it all comes together runtime for a single product. VB works just as well C# does in this case.

If you are trying to become a better programmer in general, it probably is a good idea to learn C#. It is a more typical programming language and will ease your transition wherever you need to go next.