PDA

View Full Version : New to Excel, Can this even be done?

MurcksPoms
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi everyone! This is my first post here!
Hopefully you guys can help me get from here :banghead: to here :hi:

Ok, I want to apologize if this is something that has been asked a billion times as you guys seem really nice and I don't want to waste anyone's time! Here is goes:

I have a worksheet with numbers, dogname, sirename, sire #
The dogs are numbered 1-500 in the numbers column and alphabetized in the dogname column, as well. In this worksheet I have listed the numbers, dogname and sirename information. What I am trying to find is the sire #. The sire # is actually going to be the corresponding number to dogname. The dog is listed in both columns of dogname and sirename, (actually always in dogname but not always in sirename as some dogs aren't daddys, yet). What I need to ask excel to do is find the dogs listed under sirename in the column dogname and list whatever number is in the column numbers into the column sire #. And then do so for every entry listed under sirename.
Boy, I hope that make sense to you guys! I can send the whole darn workbook to anyone who needs it, too!

Thanks so much for the help!!!!! Jennifer

figment
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Good new. This sounds relitivly simple, but we will need to know what columns each set of data is in, and what row the data starts on, aswell as what signifys the end of the list. the end of the list is usaly just blank cells, but sometimes there is a total row or some other item at the end of the list. if posible posting the workbook would be the easyest way to answer these questions.

although the more i think about it this can probibly be solved with out VBA, by useing the Vlookup formula in excel.

MurcksPoms
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks so much for helping me with this!!! How can I post the workbook here? I will do so! Thanks again!! Jennifer

figment
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
in the post reply window you will see a little paper clip it will take you to the window where you upload your file, then you use the paper clip again to insure the file into the replay

MurcksPoms
12-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Ok, it is all on the "sire" tab at the bottom! Thanks sooo much!!!
Jennifer

I had manually filled in a few of the sire #'s, that is why there are some numbers there!

figment
12-12-2007, 02:09 PM
i put a formula in the Sire # column, as you add dogs just keep copying it down and it will take care of the numbering.

MurcksPoms
12-12-2007, 02:47 PM
That is awesome!! How did you do that???

Thank you sooooo much for doing that for me!!! I am here: :cloud9:
Do you happen to know if you can make Excel only list hyperlinks from a saved webpage? Or Word... that is my next project!
Thanks so much again! Jennifer

figment
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
i unfortunetly know nothing about hyperlinks, but i am sure that some one here dose. although if its a new project you should start a new thread.