PDA

View Full Version : Memory Read error

lynnnow
01-23-2005, 08:59 AM
Hi,

I used a code to get the word count and page count and export it to Excel, however, when I run the code and exit Word, a memory read error occurs.

Can anybody shed light on this subject?

I'm using Office 97 with Win 2k.

Thanks.:think:

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-23-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm not really sure what would cause the memory read error. It could be a problem with your PC or with Word itself.

I would try the Detect and Repair feature first (Although that never has fixed any problems for me). Then try uninstalling office and delete any Office folders left behind. Then do a fresh install.

And if possible you should upgrade to at least Office 2000 since 97 is buggy on a good day.

lynnnow
01-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however, it is company policy that we have 97 installed till an upgrade is advised. Secondly, getting the Helpdesk to actually uninstall and reinstall is like pulling teeth. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though. However, where is the detect and repair option. I checked the control panel, the word help file, but there is no such option, so please point me in the right direction again.

Take care

Jacob Hilderbrand
01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Try the Help menu in Word from the Worksheet Menu Bar.

Howard Kaikow
01-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Try the Help menu in Word from the Worksheet Menu Bar.
I do not believe that office 97 has detect and repair, at least I could not find it in Word 97 the other day.

Howard Kaikow
01-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however, it is company policy that we have 97 installed till an upgrade is advised. Secondly, getting the Helpdesk to actually uninstall and reinstall is like pulling teeth. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though. However, where is the detect and repair option. I checked the control panel, the word help file, but there is no such option, so please point me in the right direction again.

Take care
You should inform your company that:

1. Office 97 is less robust than later versions
2. Office 97 VBA is brain dead compared with later versions.
3. You can program more effectively using the VBA in Office 2000, and later, if only because of modeless userforms, more application events, Split/Replace/Join string functions, etc.
4. Newer 3rd party apps that hook into Office likely do better with later versions of VBA.

Indeed, unless a client asks me to do so, I will no longer go out of my way to accommodate Word 97 in VB/VBA code.

lynnnow
02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Howard,

As I stated earlier that it is company policy, the reason for Office 97 ruling in our office and making my learning experience a hell is because the client uses Citrix to import these documents and since our management is a dead head in all this technology stuff, they will opt following what the client tells them to do. I sure hope that the client upgrades to office 2000 and makes it better for coding, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Howard Kaikow
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Howard,

As I stated earlier that it is company policy, the reason for Office 97 ruling in our office and making my learning experience a hell is because the client uses Citrix to import these documents and since our management is a dead head in all this technology stuff, they will opt following what the client tells them to do. I sure hope that the client upgrades to office 2000 and makes it better for coding, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

Yes, the Client is ALWAYS right.
But, and I do have a big BUTT, your organization should use all the Word versions so they can handle whatever clients want,

I will program in Office 97 if a Client wishes, but I will no longer go out of my way in any of my own code to assure support for Office 97.

Heck, just being able to use the DocumentBeforeClose event is sufficient reason for me to not support Word 97 in my own code,