PDA

View Full Version : VBA help

smascia
12-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I am looking to buy a new laptop and I was wondering which laptop anyone had in mind would run large Excel VBA programs the best. I was looking at some macs, but now I am hearing that macs are not a good choice for my use. Any help is much appreciated on this topic.

stanl
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
I suppose any recommendation made will be met with some criticism, but I'll start the ball rolling, noting that you haven't made reference to a specific version of Excel or a Windows OS - so I'll assume XP and 2003, and a moderate price range

1. for Excel, memory is important so at least 1 gig
2. probably minimum of 1.7 ghz speed

For price and reliability I like the Acer Aspire series: pray2: Stan

Bob Phillips
12-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Even though Stan assumed Excel 2003, I think that you should allow for Excel 2007 (presuming it will get halfway decent), so go for 2Gb RAM.

mikerickson
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I just got a MacBook and am using Excel 2004. I concur that 2004 is not a good platform for a big Excel file. There are a good number of work-arounds needed to emulate features that Excel does not support for Mac.

I have not heard from anyone who has installed Windows via Parallels Desktop , etc. and is using Excel 2007 on Windows on a Mac.

If the Mac-Windows-Excel2007 combo works like Excel on a non-Mac, OS 10.5 is worth going that way.

MWE
12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
I have little recent experience with Macs, but if you are considering a Windows based machine, the opsys you run might be a bigger contributor to the laptops specs. As I understand things, few OEMs will be shipping new computers with anything other than VISTA in 2008. VISTA requires all the ram and all the processer speed you can afford.