PDA

View Full Version : Display image help

makryger
12-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Hello, I am sure there is a very simple solution, I just can't get it to work.

When I mouseover a textbox, I would like to display an image in a specific location. I tried creating an image control (called "Image1"), then I created a macro:

Sub image()
Set Image1.Picture = LoadPicture("C:\CIMG2817.JPG")
End Sub

Afterwards, I created an Action for the textbox- in the mouseover tab, I selected the "image" macro.

But when I go into slideshow mode... nothing!

Could anyone offer any advice?

Thank you.

(I use powerpoint 2007)

makryger
12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Sorry for being such a novice, but these should be relatively simple functions if someone could help. If its ok, I would like to expand on this request, as it may be more complicated.

Basically, what I would like to do, is when I mouseover a textbox, I would like an image to appear, and when the mouse leaves, the image should disappear.

But in addition to that, each textbox has a different image associated with it. So depending on which textbox is rolled over, a different image should appear. This is something that I have done (in other programming languages) by just assigning a user-defined string for each object, which could then be called upon mouseover.

Finally, I need to move the image so it is directly above the textbox. I can do this using an activex text control, because it has obvious defined properties such as positions, captions, etc., but it lacks a nice user interface that the regular ppt 2007 textboxes offer.

I noticed something on oshp, which may have what I am looking for, but I can't find any good literature on how to utilize it. This should all be possible with a few simple lines of code, but I can't figure it out!

Thank you for your help!

John Wilson
01-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi

First oshp is just a variable name. By convention many programmers start object variables with "O" and indicate the type so oshp or osh simply refers to an object that is a shape while osld would be an object that is a slide.

Try inserting a "normal" shape to hold the picture eg a rectangle and name it eg Pic1 so that it can be identified easily. In 2007 you can do this in the selection pane (in earlier versions you will need code)

Now assuming Pic1 is on slide 1 (make the obvious change if not)

Sub pic1()
ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes("Pic1").Fill.UserPicture "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\john.jpg"
End Sub

will fill it with the picture (obviously change the address)

and this will kill the picture

Sub pic1Kill()
ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes("Pic1").Fill.Visible = False
End Sub

You will then need to arrange two mousover shapes one to trigger the fill and another around the first to trigger the kill.

Hope that makes sense

Another option would be to fill the shapes manually with the picture and simply make the .visible object true or false. Note that there is a bug which sometimes affects animation if you do this.

eg

Sub pic1Kill()
ActivePresentation.Slides(1).Shapes("Pic1").Visible = False
End Sub

hope that helps

makryger
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the information.

I am going to have a multiple different shapes that will have mouseovers. I was hoping, to make coding simpler, I could just have one sub, and use information stored in the particular shape (like the position, shape name, etc.). Is there a way to determine exactly which shape activated the macro?

Thanks!

~MK

John Wilson
01-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Maybe something like this:

Sub pics(oshp As Shape)
Select Case oshp.Name
Case Is = "Oval 3"
'do something
Case Is = "Oval 4"
'do something else
End Select
End Sub

You can have as many Case Is statements as you need. All the shapes would have the same mouseover action (Run Macro pics)

Hope that helps

makryger
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
So far, I'm in pretty good shape! Almost to the point where I can just point to 1 macro for every single shape. I can now do so with all the shapes in 1 slide, but now I must extend this to multiple slides.

Here is what I have so far:

Sub image(oshp As Shape)
current_dir = CurDir()
image_name = oshp.Name
Slide1.Image1.Picture = LoadPicture(current_dir & "\Pictures\" & image_name & ".bmp")
Slide1.Image1.Visible = False
Slide1.Image1.Left = oshp.Left + (oshp.Width - Slide1.Image1.Width) / 2
If (oshp.Top - Slide1.Image1.Height) > 0 Then
Slide1.Image1.Top = oshp.Top - Slide1.Image1.Height
ElseIf (oshp.Top - Slide1.Image1.Height) < 0 Then
Slide1.Image1.Top = oshp.Top + oshp.Height
End If
Slide1.Image1.Visible = True
End Sub

So now I can't figure out how to turn Slide1.Image1 into something that actually grabs the current slide, as opposed to just Slide1... Any ideas? Image1 is an image control, not a shape.

John Wilson
01-14-2008, 12:54 AM
You need to grab a reference to the current position (i) using the method

ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.CurrentShowPosition

and then use this to reference the shape using

ActivePresentation.Slides(i).Shapes("Image1").OLEFormat.Object

makryger
01-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Great, thanks for your help! The Image display is working very well now- one macro to control every single textbox.

Now onto the next challenge. I am creating a UI in which images of left, right, up and down arrows control which slide to go to next. When I click on the left button, the slide should transition to the left. And when I click on the right button, the slide should transition to the right. Unfortunately, right now, the transition is defined by the slide I am moving to, and not by which slide I came from.

So basically, I need a simple macro that I will install as a mouseover that finds out which slide the arrow will transition to. But I can't figure out how to access this.

Here's what I have so far: (I need to find out which slide is present in the ActionSettings and put it into intendedSlide)

Sub arrow(oshp As Shape)
intendedSlide = oshp.ActionSettings.Item.Hyperlink.Parent
Select Case oshp.Name
Case Is = "left"
ActivePresentation.Slides(intendedSlide).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectPushRight
Case Is = "right"
ActivePresentation.Slides(intendedSlide).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectPushLeft
Case Is = "up"
ActivePresentation.Slides(intendedSlide).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectPushDown
Case Is = "down"
ActivePresentation.Slides(intendedSlide).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectPushUp
End Select
End Sub

Any suggestions?

John Wilson
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
This is how I would do it

When you set an internal hyperlink the shape has a sub address in this form

SlideID,Slide Number, Title

It might seem obvious to go for the number but don't - this is the original slide number if you move slides it may change always use the ID which will almost always be a three digit number eg 256 If you have lots of slides maybe write a routine to check how many digits before the first ,

Here's an idea then

Dim jump As String
Dim slidenum As Integer
jump = oshp.ActionSettings(ppMouseClick).Hyperlink.SubAddress
'check there is a hyperlink
If jump <> "" Then
'usually left 3 will be the slide ID sub address in ID,number,Title
'you may want to make this a more complex check if you have a lot (>700) of slides
jump = Left$(jump, 3)
slidenum = ActivePresentation.Slides.FindBySlideID(jump).SlideIndex
ActivePresentation.Slides(slidenum).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectBoxIn 'etc
End If

makryger
01-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Thank you very much for all your help, John! That SubAddress is what I was missing... And thanks for the tip for the SlideID; it wasn't really clear how the slides() actually accessed slides.

Anyways, it looks like the code part of this powerpoint is up and running! Amazing what one can do with only 2 macros. Now to begin adding the content...

Thank you again!

This is how I would do it

When you set an internal hyperlink the shape has a sub address in this form

SlideID,Slide Number, Title

It might seem obvious to go for the number but don't - this is the original slide number if you move slides it may change always use the ID which will almost always be a three digit number eg 256 If you have lots of slides maybe write a routine to check how many digits before the first ,

Here's an idea then

Dim jump As String
Dim slidenum As Integer
jump = oshp.ActionSettings(ppMouseClick).Hyperlink.SubAddress
'check there is a hyperlink
If jump <> "" Then
'usually left 3 will be the slide ID sub address in ID,number,Title
'you may want to make this a more complex check if you have a lot (>700) of slides
jump = Left$(jump, 3)
slidenum = ActivePresentation.Slides.FindBySlideID(jump).SlideIndex
ActivePresentation.Slides(slidenum).SlideShowTransition.EntryEffect = ppEffectBoxIn 'etc
End If