PDA

View Full Version : making a word partially readonly

monikamalik
01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Is it possible to make a word documewnt partially readonly.

Actually i have a word document with some tables.I want to make first two columns of of these tables readonly and 3rd column writeable.

fumei
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Not directly. At least I don't think so. You could put the contents of the first two columns into ActiveX textboxes, then make those Enabled = False. Then they could not be changed...except with code of course. Seems like an extreme solution though.

lucas
01-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Seems like the perfect opportunity to use a userform.....

protect the doc
run the form and fill in data.
unprotect and add data from form to bookmarks
protect the doc and close the form.

am I off base here Gerry?

fumei
01-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Hard to say.

The OP wishes the 3rd column to be free to write in. There is no mention of explicit data. Using a userform to insert data would work of course, but it would be explicit data. It would be the data obtained from user input on the userform. If the document is then protected for forms, then the data inserted would be explicit - from the userform - and not accessible to edit.

If the data going into the 3rd column IS supposed to be explicit, then yes, absolutely, a userform is a viable option.

If the data going into the 3rd column must be variable/editable, then a userform may not be the correct route. It still could be. You could have the userform called whenever the data in the 3rd column needs to be changed.

Again, hard to say. A good example of:

Better specs....better code. We do not know what the exact requirements are.

monikamalik
01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Activex textbox is best option in my case.

Thanks 4 the help !!!:rotlaugh:

TonyJollans
01-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Wouldn't form fields work for this - a simple text field in each cell in the third column and protect for forms?

fumei
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Definitely another option. Better, I think. It may, or may not, be appropriate for the document. Hard to say. Generally though, IMO, NOT using ActiveX controls - like Tony's fomfield suggestion - is better than using them.

ActiveX controls are handy, and quite definitely have their uses. However, they do add a complexity to documents, and their very existence can affect/influence security issues.

If Security is High, ActiveX code is disabled, and will not function....at least in principle.

lucas
01-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I guess that since I started with Excel that the activeX approach seems more intuitive for me. I find some aspects of Word to be overcomplicated and glitchy....such as formfields.

fumei
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love ActiveX controls. I use them when appropriate.

That being said, I love formfields...mmmm, probably better. Or let's say that formfields have more commonly appropriate use.

"I find some aspects of Word to be overcomplicated and glitchy"

Well Steve...."Word is different." Crack me up.

Really? Wow...I never noticed. But then I rarely use Excel, so I do not have that much experience with a superior product.

Just kidding. Actually, from what little I have used Excel, I can see that in some ways, yes, it seems to have a....mmmmm, saner object model.

Not that I am suggesting Word is insane, just eccentric.

lucas
01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
just different....

fumei
01-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Well not just different. It is quite true that some things in Word appear overcomplicated and glitchy. Some things rightly make you shake you head and go..."say whaaat????...that is very very weird.

monikamalik
01-04-2008, 04:57 AM
can i read a word document to get text written in textboxes(created dynamically)?

fumei
01-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Yes.

TonyJollans
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
:laugh2:

monikamalik
01-07-2008, 02:02 AM
I am facing one more problem when used this type of protection in document.I am not able to click on links too(online or offline).

Is there any workaround for this??like a MACRO??

fumei
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
You are scattering stuff into this thread, not being clear, and frankly, not paying attention.

"this type of protection "

Oh...well thanks for telling us what type of protection you ARE using. You have posted nothing telling what you have done.

You have posted things like: "can i read a word document to get text written in textboxes(created dynamically)?"

without telling us anything about what you mean, or are trying to do. And then seem to ignore what you asked.

By "type of protection" I am assuming you mean that you DID follow Tony's suggestion to use formfields. It would be polite if you would actually mention that.

Protecting for forms does indeed lock all other parts of a document from editing, including any text involved with a hyperlink.

You give absolutely zero description of your situation, but you may be able to use Continuous Section breaks. You can isolate the parts with the formfields so they can be used, and free other parts so you can click the hyperlinks.

Please read the FAQ on how to use these forums.