PDA

View Full Version : Query Status in Excel

jtrowbridge
01-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I'd like to add some functionality to some of the workbooks that I've built so that they will show a little animation in Excel's status bar when SQL queries are running.

I did some research and got good information on how to get something like this to work, but all the code examples I've seen depend on imbedding the progress meter in a loop which incrementally updates the progress.

Having a loop dependent progress bar isnt going to work for this application. What I'd like to work out is something akin to the "I'm working" indicator in MS SQL Studio which is just a little loop that swirls around until the query is done.

I can make an animation that will infinately loop but I somehow need to run that animation at the same time as the query is running. Then I need to feed a stop command to the loop once the query is complete. Unfortunately I dont know how to run two processes at the same time in VB.

Can anyone give me a hand with this? I feel like my question is a little scatter-brained so I'd be more than happy to answer as many clarifying questions as you'd need.

thanks!

:think:

Info: I'm using the MS ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 2.8 Library to interface Excel with our SQL server.

XLGibbs
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Excels status bar at the bottom left has such a status information message when using MS Query (accessing records...etc)..

Excel doesn't require use of the ActiveX objects library..it has a built in tool called ODBC and MS Query....