PDA

View Full Version : Basic Database Design, problems with relationships

shrek
01-25-2005, 08:55 AM
:banghead: Many may laugh others just ignore it, however i have to admit that Access and I havent had the pleasure of meeting often, i have allways tried to use Excel.

I have a very simple database to design, however i am struggling with the fundamentals of design and linking the tables. Would someone be kind enough to put me on the right track.

I have included the sample tables.

Essentially what i need to do is:
1: Select the type of overtime worked against each of the 94 staff for a particualr date i.e. current date. Am quite happy to do this using the table view
2: Generate a 1 page daily report to show the O/T worked for each member of staff.
3: Generate an indivudual report between two dates to show the O/T worked between those dates.

I dont mind using the table view and updating the query manually as it is only myself that will ever be using the system.

As you can see it's the simplest of problems, one of which however continues to stump me. THe reporting side etc i can do without too many problems however the correct type of relationships and links are causing me great frustration.

Regards,

S

SJ McAbney
01-26-2005, 04:57 AM
This is probably a bit more than you expected. ;)

More work can be done on reporting but this is just an example. :D

shrek
01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Brilliant thank you for your help,

I have one problem which is being able to edit the database, not sure if you have compiled it and thats why i cant do anything or if the permissions have been set wrongly.

I would like to see how you have created it and add a couple of other reports and queries that tie into other databases so access would be much appreciated.

Regards,

S

SJ McAbney
01-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Hold down [SHIFT] as you open it. Once open you can reenable things from the Startup menu.

SJ McAbney
01-28-2005, 03:03 AM
Can I now close this thread or do you have any more questions?

shrek
01-28-2005, 05:23 AM
One final one!!

I have been trying to create a 1 page report that simply shows for the selected date all employees (94 of them) and the type of O/T that has been worked, the actual hours are not needed. So far i have tried copying the report form and using one of the calander controls with a new query that is designed to provide the data for the report however i seem to have hit a dead end.

Have you got any ideas on how to create this eaasily as i am uncertain as to how to write the code for this as i see the code in the module relates to the overall project so when i try copying and modifying it for my needs i only get errors.

Thank you for your time,

S