PDA

View Full Version : Blinking Text in Formula

gaggu51
01-07-2008, 12:46 AM
I got a macro from the site on blinking text. What I would like to know is whether blinking text can be used in a formula. eg, If A1=B1, B1,"ERROR".
Been trying to find one for a long time.
Cheers
Gaggu

Bob Phillips
01-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Why, you want to send a percentage of your users into shock?

Blinking text is awful, obtrusive, and might even be illegal in some countries.

Don't do it.

gaggu51
01-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I am looking for blinking text only if an error occurs. I do not want it continously. The worksheet is used by only a few people, who work with me. Sometimes when the data input is wrong, I would like to be warned.
Thanks for your reply, I do understand your point.
gaggu

malik641
01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Why, you want to send a percentage of your users into shock?
It would only show them how often they enter bad data :rofl: I don't see the harm in that! (j/k)

...and might even be illegal in some countries.
LOL! So much for advertising

gaggu,

Also, try to stay away from message boxes. Those are pretty annoying too. Why not just use conditional formulas? Then just color the cell red or something?

Bob Phillips
01-10-2008, 02:29 AM
It would only show them how often they enter bad data :rofl: I don't see the harm in that! (j/k)

In the UK we have disability legislation that all applications have to comply with. I cannot remember the letter, but I beleive that blinking text is not allowed within this legislation.

A better way IMO is to use conditional formatting to highlight the errors, just as effective, without the downsides.

malik641
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Interesting. If you ever find any material on it, I'd be happy to read it.

And I agree, conditional formatting it should be.
...Just noticed, that's what I meant to say in my previous post, not "conditional formulas". :)

gaggu51
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for your help, guys. I went with conditional formatting. It works GREAT.
Gaggu

Carl A
01-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Just a FYI:
Blinking lights like strobe lights or even in this case blinking text can cause a seizure in people that are epileptic.

Bob Phillips
01-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Just a FYI:
Blinking lights like strobe lights or even in this case blinking text can cause a seizure in people that are epileptic.

I think I made that point 18 days ago.

gaggu51
01-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, xld, I did take your advice. Thanks a lot. for some reason, i could not log into the chat. Then went on a 2 week holiday.
Cheers