PDA

View Full Version : How to protect a workbook?

cmm0812
01-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Does anyone know of a macro that will protect an entire workbook (and disable locked cells) with a password? I need to protect a workbook with about 75 worksheets and don't want to have to protect each one individually, but I have cells that can not be altered in each worksheet.

Aussiebear
01-11-2008, 12:09 AM
G'day cmm0812, Have a look at the following website;

http://j-walk.com/ss/Excel/faqs/protectionFAQ.htm

cmm0812
01-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks. What I am looking for is to protect the structure of the workbook (as done when protecting sheets), so that users cannot select locked cells but can unhide columns with one password that will unlock the entire file. It seems very tedious to have to password-protect each sheet in my file so that locked cells are protected and have to unlock each sheet when I need users to unhide a row.

Thanks

lucas
01-11-2008, 05:09 AM
use the same password on all worksheets and protecte/unprotect them all at one time? Does that sound like it might work?

cmm0812
01-11-2008, 06:31 AM
That does not work. They all have to be protected individually.

lucas
01-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks. What I am looking for is to protect the structure of the workbook (as done when protecting sheets), so that users cannot select locked cells but can unhide columns with one password that will unlock the entire file. It seems very tedious to have to password-protect each sheet in my file so that locked cells are protected and have to unlock each sheet when I need users to unhide a row.

Thanks

You should be able to unhide a row on a sheet by unprotecting it, unhide the row...then protect it again all by using a macro.....you need to give a little more info. Are each of these sheets protected with a different password according to user?